• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 digitalwangsta

digitalwangsta

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 891 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:55 PM

This whole season has been discouraging really but this current 4 game skid really shows me that Mike White and his coaching staff are just mid-level coaches at best. I mean, isn't it the coaches responsibility to teach shooting to his players and to try and improve their shooting abilities? This team just sucks at shooting, period. And when they don't play defense, it's been all over very early in many games. Everything that Billy has built is going to sh*t. Many blowout losses or slow starts, lazy effort at times or lack of focus and energy to start games, poor shot selection, players not improving over the season,  .  .  .and it will be even worse next year with DFS gone.

• rleaton4880 likes this

#2 dw74l

dw74l

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:11 PM

Need to recruit the opposite of Kentucy. Get his guys build them up make them stay 4 years... we'll take um down.

• mtn2top and Vaako like this

#3 suwanneegator

suwanneegator

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:23 PM

You're overlooking one major part of the situation. This is one of Billy Donovan's teams. I think that all the players on the team where already here or committed to come here when White was hired. Like I posted on another thread a couple of days ago I appreciate very much what Billy Donovan accomplished while he was here. His dedication and drive were out of this world until the last couple of years, then he started mailing in his recruiting efforts. Just look at the number of transfers from other schools that are on the roster. That's not recruiting, that's just filling out the roster. The team couldn't shoot last year when Donovan was here and the same players still can't shoot. Give White a chance.

• WernerIsTentative, mtn2top, Gator_Machine and 4 others like this

#4 Travis McGee

Travis McGee

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:27 AM

The reality is this:

Donovan didn't exactly leave the cupboard stocked full of talent. 

Nobody is winning big with this talent. Nobody. 

Give the man another season and a half before you start making blanket statements. 2 1/2 seasons is enough to get a feel for what is to come. 

#5 DrthG8r

DrthG8r

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:08 AM

The guys, or most of them, playing this year didn't really show us a lot last year ~ with Donovan at the helm.  White played them (I believe) because they had court time experience and the new players were able to watch, play "some" and learn. 

I'm not going to knock Mike White untill I see his players on the court.

• 5string likes this

#6 GatorRaz

GatorRaz

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:36 AM

I didn't see Coach White miss any of those shots! We had open looks but couldn't throw it in the ocean. Give him time!

Go Gators!!!

• vulcan_alex, mtn2top and 5string like this

#7 GatorDoug96

GatorDoug96

Baby Gator

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:29 AM

I agree with OP. White does not seem like the answer, and based on his mediocre recruiting so far, this might be the best year he is going to have here. Before you say "its only his first year" , look at what Shaka is doing in Texas, we need somebody like that. I am already looking forward to the coaching search in 2018 so we can hopefully get back to national prominence. 

#8 gator67

gator67

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:41 PM

Comparing White's first year at Florida with Smart's first year is not meaningful unless you also compare the talent that each inherited. I don't know anything about Smart's team, but I'm guessing that he has more players who can shoot the ball under the pressure of a ball game. White may or may not be successful -- it's too early to know. But it is not fair to blame him for this team's woeful offensive performance. They have had plenty of open shots, which indicates that there is nothing wrong with the offensive scheme, but they have great difficulty hitting them. A coach's options become very limited under such circumstances.

• mtn2top likes this

#9 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:42 PM

Hey wangsta, what was Billy D's record last year with basically the same players?

You can't judge White off of this season. Next season and the season after will be his deciding factors as to how good of a coach he is.

I seriously hate our fanbase sometimes.... It's the same fans who wonder why we can't keep good coaches....

If you don't understand what I just wrote, you are part of the problem.

• 5string likes this

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#10 Dugaboy

Dugaboy

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:44 PM

We should have grabbed Shaka...

#11 gatordad3

gatordad3

Head Ball Coach

• Members
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:04 PM

If White and Smart were to switch between UF & UT, there would be no difference. Donovan just had the misfortune of striking out on several recruits the last few years. I do believe Leon, Egbunu and D Rob will develop into awesome players while we need 1 or 2 more solid shooters to field an NCAA tournament team.

Just remember, Donovan struggled to develop the likes of Tyus, Parsons, Calathes, and several others to form some teams who made 4 straight Elite 8 appearances along with trip to the Final 4.

Oh, and I remember Donovan having something like a 27-32 record his first 2 seasons at UF.

#12 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,513 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:19 PM

I blame the players.  The coach is not in charge of making free throws.  He also is not in charge of making open shots.  Same with the lack of effort to start games, although he could bench those that don't play hard.  It is way too early to judge a new coach and his staff.

• GatorRaz likes this
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#13 4th and 11

4th and 11

True Gator

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:52 PM

I do believe Leon, Egbunu and D Rob will develop into awesome players while we need 1 or 2 more solid shooters to field an NCAA tournament team.

This presupposes that we already have solid shooters. It could be argued that the cupboard is bare.

KeVaughn Allen? Maybe. He is solid at the FT line (a rarity on this team), though his field-goal and 3-point percentages are low.

Dorian Finney-Smith? Perhaps, but he's gone after this season anyway.

Devin Robinson? Meh. Decent. Not great.

Justin Leon? Love his hustle. Don't love his 41.7% from the charity stripe.

Kasey Hill / Chris Chiozza / Brandone Francis-Ramirez? DEAR GOD NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT!

>,==,~

#14 UncleRob

UncleRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:06 PM

I think the coaching was about as good as it could get last night. The defense was solid, there were very few turnovers, and they kept feeding the ball to Egbunu for dunks. The free throw situation has to improve and everyone has gone cold from the 3 point line. Usually at least one of your players is hot from the outside. If we had shot 70% from the charity stripe and 35% for 3s, we would have won that game.

Allen is a freshman and has been hot at times this year. Hill can drive the ball and had some really nice passes to Egbunu last night. If Florida can find one or two consistent outside shooters, this could be a really good team.

Maybe they need to sacrifice a chicken on the ball or something to get rid of the bad juju.

#15 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:43 PM

Maybe they need to sacrifice a chicken on the ball or something to get rid of the bad juju.

Best idea I've heard in a while.

• vulcan_alex likes this

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#16 Cold Blooded Reptile

Cold Blooded Reptile

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:44 PM

My overarching concern is not with White as a coach. I think he is probably a decent coach.

At first, I saw the hiring of White as a move mirroring the hiring of Donovan. Young, aggressive. But there is one huge difference. Billy Donovan was a BIG NAME when he arrived. Billy the Kid was able to get a few of those Mike Miller's and David Lee's to come to UF.

In his latter years, Donovan seemed to lose the recruiting magic. We are suffering now because of it.

Unless White can make something unusual happen, I fear we may return to pre-Donovan recruiting mediocrity. The kind that drove Lon Kruger away when Vince Carter went to UNC. The big names in the conference, besides the bum at UK, are at Auburn, Bama, Tennessee, and even Mississippi State. Florida basketball just may not be special anymore.

I hope I am wrong.

• Lawrence of Florida likes this
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly ... for a worthy cause .... Theodore Roosevelt

#17 digitalwangsta

digitalwangsta

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 891 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:48 PM

Hey wangsta, what was Billy D's record last year with basically the same players?

You can't judge White off of this season. Next season and the season after will be his deciding factors as to how good of a coach he is.

I seriously hate our fanbase sometimes.... It's the same fans who wonder why we can't keep good coaches....

If you don't understand what I just wrote, you are part of the problem.

Last year the players were more focused on whether Donovan was gonna leave for the NBA or not. Michael Frazier even admitted that during an interview with a reporter last year after the season. Besides, all season long I've felt that there was so much depth and athletic talent on this team ( more depth than we've had in years ) , that Mike White should have schemed/ designed more plays to utilize their athleticism as opposed to the team chucking up 30 three-pointers a game. You're right, the team can't shoot, but they can drive and dunk and make lay-ups. Mike White has had all season to implement his scheme . . . look at what Ben Howland is doing at Miss. State, they were horrible early in the year but now they've been playing better of late and they look to have momentum going into next season. On the other hand, Mike White has allowed a team of veteran players wallow in a 4 game losing streak with everything on the line. I'm sorry, I disagree with anyone that says that I or any other passionate Gator b-ball fan is being unreasonable. Billy D set the bar for the basketball program and when the team underachieves, its disappointing. 

#18 Double Gator Dad

Double Gator Dad

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:25 PM

Keep telling yourselves that this is the same team as last year but the fact is that two of the best on the team (Allen and Egbunu) did not play last year. I won't bore you with the other ten differences.

Tell yourselves that White can't shoot for them and that is true BUT, the one thing every good coach teaches is defense. Defense never has an off night. This team refuses to play strong defense for any extended period of time and that is coaching.They left Kentucky's best shooter WIDE OPEN on the three point line all night last night. This is after he torched us for 37 in Lexington earlier.

As others have said, the team can't shoot but ask yourself this...when was the last time you saw a play drawn up during a timeout that resulted in a layup?

Go ahead and compare Billy's record his first two years to White's start but don't bother to look back at what Billy inherited. It was a high school team compared to what he left White.

Tell yourselves that Billy was mailing it in the last two years but the reality is that the one and done thing has made it essential that teams like UF develop players over 3-4 years. How much did the current players develop this year?  None.

Yes, give White a few years to recruit his own players. Really? Have you seen how he has done so far? We are behind FSU, MIami, and most of the other SEC schools. This is the most talented team he will have for the next 2-3 years.

The rest of the SEC has grown tired of losing to UF so they each stepped up when signing new coaches. We, on the other hand, seem to have gone backwards. We may be in the bottom half of the league for good in 2-3 years.

The good news is that UF will sell me beer now so I can drink enough that I can convince myself that the program is not in free fall. It is going to take lot of beer

• digitalwangsta and Lawrence of Florida like this

#19 gatordad3

gatordad3

Head Ball Coach

• Members
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:26 PM

This presupposes that we already have solid shooters. It could be argued that the cupboard is bare.

KeVaughn Allen? Maybe. He is solid at the FT line (a rarity on this team), though his field-goal and 3-point percentages are low.

Dorian Finney-Smith? Perhaps, but he's gone after this season anyway.

Devin Robinson? Meh. Decent. Not great.

Justin Leon? Love his hustle. Don't love his 41.7% from the charity stripe.

Kasey Hill / Chris Chiozza / Brandone Francis-Ramirez? DEAR GOD NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT!

No. I never said we have solid shooters. What I meant was 1 or 2 to compliment Allen to at least make the tourney, even if it meant being a one and done this season.

#20 digitalwangsta

digitalwangsta

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 891 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:34 PM

Also, does anyone think that we even win this weekend against Mizzou?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users