• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dw74l

dw74l

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:50 PM

guys a sellout.. So bummed he betrayed us.  Driskel and Treon sucked but at least they give it their all.. Grier is just like every 5 star QB thinking we should just appreciate his talent and be thankful he ever came to Florida.  The truth is he leaves us in shambles and doesn't even benefit from leaving because he can't play until mid 2017. I usually wish the best for Qbs that transfer but in the case I will cheer for him to suck. 

#2 DunedinDan

DunedinDan

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:51 PM

Geez!  When did this all happen?  I must have been sleeping. 

#3 dw74l

dw74l

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:55 PM

Geez!  When did this all happen?  I must have been sleeping. 

Just annoyed and need to someone to tell me its going to be alright. 

#4 DunedinDan

DunedinDan

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:13 PM

I just sent you a cyber beer.  Everything is going to be alright.I will pull a Pat Dooley and tell you to listen to The Cars song, All Mixed Up.

#5 Gator2222

Gator2222

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:19 PM

I think it is just as likely that Coach Mac sent Grier packing.

After the suspension was handed down, Grier quit participating in all team activities.  Not because he had to, he wanted to.  He did not go to practice.  He did not go to team meetings.  Nothing.

That had to aggravate Coach Mac.  Your QB has to be a leader.  He has to have the respect of the team.  He is a big part of setting a winning culture.

Through his actions (or lack of them), Grier was showing that he did not value hard work, he was not willing to put in effort unless he personally benefited and he did not really care about the team.  I am sure at the meeting Mac had with Grier and his dad he signaled that Grier was done unless every other QB on the roster just bombed.  I doubt he came out and bluntly said it, but I bet he got the message across to dad.

Mac is trying to weed out the players that may prevent him from setting the culture he needs to instill.  I am also willing to bet that is why we just had a Junior LB "decide" not to play anymore.

I don't think Grier abandoned us.  I think he was shown the door.

#6 DunedinDan

DunedinDan

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:31 PM

I agree with you Gator2222, and Part B of that equation was when the appeal failed.  Maybe Grier stays if he could participate in spring ball and compete to start in Game 1. 

#7 John_Blutarsky

John_Blutarsky

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:24 AM

To hear Brady Ackerman tell it, the one who initiated the divorce was Grier's father. He has, shall we say, a not insignificant ego and the thought of his son riding the pine next season just didn't sit well with him. So when Mac didn't guarantee Grier his old job back for the Mizzou game, daddy Grier got his feathers ruffled and told junior that it would be best for him to take his talents elsewhere. Hence the sudden backtrack in communication after Mac announced Grier was re-joining the team. 

I'm certain that we will see Grier land at a school that hands him the starting job the moment he becomes eligible, as that is Grier's likely asking price for his talents. He's not going anywhere he has to compete for the job. And the reason why he hasn't announced where he's going yet is because all of the coaches in the Grier sweepstakes are trying to figure out a way to make that happen. 

Of course, if he's not eligible until mid-year 2017 that's going to be a very difficult to promise to make and to keep. 

• vulcan_alex likes this

#8 suwanneegator

suwanneegator

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:03 AM

I just sent you a cyber beer.  Everything is going to be alright.I will pull a Pat Dooley and tell you to listen to The Cars song, All Mixed Up.

Try "In The Mood" by Glenn Miller or "Sing Sing Sing" by Benny Goodman. If that don't get you pumped up and moving, you're dead.

• DunedinDan likes this

#9 -THE DUDE-

-THE DUDE-

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,015 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:20 AM

Just annoyed and need to someone to tell me its going to be alright. 

That was like what...3 months ago?  Why are you even thinking about him? 

#10 Thread Killer

Thread Killer

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:51 AM

It's a crappy situation but it's also possible, as others have posited, that this was a very embarrassing situation for a 20 year old kid and he needed to a fresh start.

Mac may have been ok with him not practicing because it would have been distracting to a team that had half a season to go.

• vulcan_alex likes this

#11 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,560 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 02:08 PM

I might be wrong but I think he can transfer, sit his year and at the same time the six games left.  Thus he can play in 2017 from the beginning.  If he goes to a decent team that needs a QB that would be better than staying at UF and getting buried in the many potentially good QB's that we have.  If you want an NFL career and are not a Gator transferring is the right move.

I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#12 rllrll

rllrll

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:35 PM

guys a sellout.. So bummed he betrayed us.  Driskel and Treon sucked but at least they give it their all.. Grier is just like every 5 star QB thinking we should just appreciate his talent and be thankful he ever came to Florida.  The truth is he leaves us in shambles and doesn't even benefit from leaving because he can't play until mid 2017. I usually wish the best for Qbs that transfer but in the case I will cheer for him to suck. 

I'm just the opposite. I wish him the best. He played hard, made plays with his arm and feet when he was playing and gave the offense a chance to succeed. His crime was taking an over the counter GNC supplement a ten year old can buy. If UF did not have another adequate QB to take his place talk to Mr. Muschamp, he was Foley's MILLION DOLLAR man responsible for recruiting. Don’t believe Grier had anything to do with who was signed. No rape accusation, no dope, no driving without a license, no DWI, no cursing at women, no crab legs, nothing illegal. If he can get a break on his suspension/transfer I believe he has a bright future. But to each their own opinion. Driskel's character was never in question. Harris has already gotten himself into trouble two times.

• John_Blutarsky likes this

#13 Maxxodd

Maxxodd

True Gator

• Members
  • 660 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:18 PM

I might be wrong but I think he can transfer, sit his year and at the same time the six games left. Thus he can play in 2017 from the beginning. If he goes to a decent team that needs a QB that would be better than staying at UF and getting buried in the many potentially good QB's that we have. If you want an NFL career and are not a Gator transferring is the right move.

I've heard people say that and from some points of view it would make sense. I'd like t to be true so that I'd be able to be pissed at the NCAA for essentially forcing him to transfer (to save eligibility) rather than be disappointed in Grier for bailing when it doesn't really present an advantage for him. But everything I've read they cannot be served concurrently. The loss of games/eligibility follows him no matter what.bbhe can play immediately if he goes to a juco, but if he returns to division I, he'll still have the serve the remainder of his suspension.

#14 John_Blutarsky

John_Blutarsky

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:56 AM

I'm guessing that the NCAA would not allow someone to circumvent punishment by transferring which is essentially what a player could do if they can, in fact, serve the suspension concurrently with their transitional year of inactivity. For example, had Grier been tested during the offseason he could have just transferred on the spot and the punishment for the PEDs is essentially moot.  

#15 DaddyGator

DaddyGator

Head Ball Coach

• Members
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:53 PM

It's all about 2017. He can't ride the pine in another program concurrently with the suspension. Thus, the transfer makes sense for all concerned: Florida needs a starting QB in August and Grier can't waste his eligibility. I can't really blame the kid for concluding that the job at Florida had already passed him by.

Illegitimi non carborundum

#16 PharmaGator

PharmaGator

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:48 PM

When I saw daddy grier on the front page with blonds in bikinis and "free willy" shirt, I knew he was a dooche. Pretty sure Dunedin is right. That guy was behind it all, and he had the mentality of a 20 year old. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users