• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 dw74l

dw74l

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:57 PM

any chance Mac wants to force treon to transfer/switch positions? 

#42 Gator2222

Gator2222

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:10 PM

This season we had one capable QB and a backup we wish had never seen the field.  Mac is determined to make sure he is not in that position again.

He brought in Del Rio to make sure we had at least one capable QB in 2016.  Grier left and Treon is probably not far behind.  That leaves us with one QB again in 2016.

Mac did a terrific job flipping Franks from LSU.  Not only do we get a top 5 QB, but we deprive an annual rival of a top 5 QB.  Brilliant!

However, starting a true freshman at QB is usually a recipe for disaster in the SEC.  I don't care who the freshman may be or how high they are ranked.  No coach in their right mind wants to start a freshman QB.

Tim Tebow was not a starter as a freshman.  Neither was Wuerffel, Cam Newton, AJ McCarron or pretty much any other QB that led a team to a title.  I am sure Coach Mac would like to give his freshmen a redshirt and give them time to learn the system, get used to the speed of the game, grow and mature.

To state that we should not recruit any QB that is a "project" and will need a year or two to learn is basically saying that we should never recruit QB's that will come in as freshmen.  Tebow was a project that needed some time to learn how to run the offense.  Wuerffel was a project that frequently got benched for making mistakes during his learning process.  I am glad our coaches did not have the mindset that we should not recruit projects.

Similarly, saying we should not have recruited Franks and concentrated on Eason is a horrible suggestion.  There is an old axiom about eggs and a basket.  Eason was heavily leaning towards UGA the entire process.  He only briefly showed interest in us because Richt was fired.  He was not scared off by competition at the position (i.e. Franks).  Coach Mac took a shot, but he knew it was a long shot.

If Mac only recruited Eason and Eason chose UGA, we would be left empty handed.  That would be irresponsible recruiting,  It was simply way too large of a gamble to take.  Thank god Mac landed Franks.

That left us with Del Rio, Franks and Trask.  At that point we could afford to redshirt one of the freshmen as long as no one got hurt.  You have to have 2 QB's ready to go at all times.  If one of the 3 gets hurt, the redshirt probably gets burned.

Then Mac landed the transfer.  Perfect.  Now we can redshirt both freshmen and we are still 2 deep at QB.  If Del Rio is the real deal we have the transfer as a backup for 2016.  In 2017 Franks moves in as the backup and in 2018 Franks takes over with 2 years of experience and 3 years of eligibility left.

It sounds like the perfect plan to me.  I honestly don't see any flaws.

Bobby Bowden had a very long streak of top teams because he always had a highly rated Junior QB ready to step in when his starting QB turned pro.  Looks like we are on the way to settling into that system ourselves.

• vulcan_alex, OldGatorAlum and DunedinDan like this

#43 dw74l

dw74l

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:16 PM

This season we had one capable QB and a backup we wish had never seen the field.  Mac is determined to make sure he is not in that position again.

He brought in Del Rio to make sure we had at least one capable QB in 2016.  Grier left and Treon is probably not far behind.  That leaves us with one QB again in 2016.

Mac did a terrific job flipping Franks from LSU.  Not only do we get a top 5 QB, but we deprive an annual rival of a top 5 QB.  Brilliant!

However, starting a true freshman at QB is usually a recipe for disaster in the SEC.  I don't care who the freshman may be or how high they are ranked.  No coach in their right mind wants to start a freshman QB.

Tim Tebow was not a starter as a freshman.  Neither was Wuerffel, Cam Newton, AJ McCarron or pretty much any other QB that led a team to a title.  I am sure Coach Mac would like to give his freshmen a redshirt and give them time to learn the system, get used to the speed of the game, grow and mature.

To state that we should not recruit any QB that is a "project" and will need a year or two to learn is basically saying that we should never recruit QB's that will come in as freshmen.  Tebow was a project that needed some time to learn how to run the offense.  Wuerffel was a project that frequently got benched for making mistakes during his learning process.  I am glad our coaches did not have the mindset that we should not recruit projects.

Similarly, saying we should not have recruited Franks and concentrated on Eason is a horrible suggestion.  There is an old axiom about eggs and a basket.  Eason was heavily leaning towards UGA the entire process.  He only briefly showed interest in us because Richt was fired.  He was not scared off by competition at the position (i.e. Franks).  Coach Mac took a shot, but he knew it was a long shot.

If Mac only recruited Eason and Eason chose UGA, we would be left empty handed.  That would be irresponsible recruiting,  It was simply way too large of a gamble to take.  Thank god Mac landed Franks.

That left us with Del Rio, Franks and Trask.  At that point we could afford to redshirt one of the freshmen as long as no one got hurt.  You have to have 2 QB's ready to go at all times.  If one of the 3 gets hurt, the redshirt probably gets burned.

Then Mac landed the transfer.  Perfect.  Now we can redshirt both freshmen and we are still 2 deep at QB.  If Del Rio is the real deal we have the transfer as a backup for 2016.  In 2017 Franks moves in as the backup and in 2018 Franks takes over with 2 years of experience and 3 years of eligibility left.

It sounds like the perfect plan to me.  I honestly don't see any flaws.

Bobby Bowden had a very long streak of top teams because he always had a highly rated Junior QB ready to step in when his starting QB turned pro.  Looks like we are on the way to settling into that system ourselves.

I like your post.. Just curious though Fsu junior qb going pro? Who, when? Don't FSU qbs suck in pros besides Winston?

#44 DunedinDan

DunedinDan

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:18 PM

Don't forget, Bowden got lucky when Chris Weinke gave up baseball and joined the noles as a 25-year old freshman.  Beat Michael Vick in the championship game. 

Booby had a propensity for not only having mature QBs but also for abusing the opposing QB far beyond the echo of the whistle.

btw, Weenie is the QB coach for the St. Louis Rams.

#45 Gator2222

Gator2222

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:26 PM

I probably did not state that as well as I should have.  I was not necessarily referring to a Nole QB leaving early.  I meant when they completed their eligibility and went pro.

#46 DunedinDan

DunedinDan

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:32 PM

Or went pro before completing their eligibility.  Free shoes, free crabs, you know...

#47 GatorNation85

GatorNation85

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:45 AM

Eh... 

He's big, no doubt about that. However, he has a slow arm, throws behind receivers far too often (saw several throws that would have been pick 6's against SEC defense), and doesn't seem to locate the deep ball that well. I'm far from sold. 

This is another slap in the face to Franks, btw. I'm not sure why we even recruited him if we felt he was a project in need of a redshirt. What we obviously should have done was hold off on Franks and put the full court press on Eason. There was no point in recruiting Eason once we already had a commitment from Franks. If you don't have Franks in the picture and can present Eason with a scenario where Grier is transferring and the only competition is Del Rio, he likely commits to us. It literally made no sense to lock down Franks if you knew you were going to pursue Eason and also a target in the 5th year market.

I think we're seeing yet another area where the program could benefit from better administrative oversight. Someone at the top needs to be monitoring these moves so that they can step in and say, "Hey fellas, we're getting out of order here," or, "You're putting the cart before the horse there." The coaches are too close to the action and can get lost in the frantic nature of it all. They clearly were so desperate to remedy the QB situation in this case that they didn't consider the order in which they should have been proceeding with these recruits. 

Some people act like they have no clue what so ever. A slap in the Franks' face? How? If you have experience watching the game of college football you should know by now that you cannot expect a true freshman to come in and be the savior. ESPECIALLY at the QB position. This isnt a slap in Franks' face. This is more competition for him.

If Franks is the best player come August.....he will start. Plain and simple. No matter how many QBs we take on. Have you not learned a lesson here watching UF the last few years? We cannot keep going into seasons with 2 capable QBs. One gets hurt or suspended, then youre stuck with a bum like Treon. And a WR backing him up.

We need as many QBs as possible. Del Rio, Appleby, Franks, Trask, all need to be in competing this year. Treon is done. If he is the best option, then we are doomed. Appleby cannot be worse than this guy. We need more QBs. I'm hoping that Franks isnt bothered by the competition. I really hope he pans out and takes the job this year. Mac needs to do everything in his power to keep Jake Allen aboard. Really wish we could have flipped Eason as well.

Bottom line...there is nothing wrong with signing/taking in as many QBs as possible. A big problem with college kids these days is the fear of competition.

As for Treon....he needs to swap positions in all honesty. He flat out cannot play QB. Sure the offensive line was to blame a good bit. But Harris consistently missed WRs badly and held on the ball an eternity. He has to go if UF wants to compete for the SEC East next year. If he is the best QB we have, we are in big trouble.

• gator_tom likes this

#48 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:33 AM

Well said 85.

Ignore the orange trolls :ignore:

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by orange54. View it anyway? :nono:
This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by Alvin York. View it anyway? :nono:<p>

#49 DunedinDan

DunedinDan

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:40 PM

I would love to see Treon be successful at another position.  Say what you will about his QB play, at least he gave it all he had and is a Gator through and through.

Hey, he already has one touchdown grab.  Put him at WR.

• vulcan_alex and Gator2222 like this

#50 GatorShea

GatorShea

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,297 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 06 January 2016 - 03:58 PM

Yes, I would like to see Treon finish his career at UF and become a player that we can remember for making some big plays in important games.  I can forget about the first two seasons if he can finish strong over the next two. Make him a slot receiver receiver or a small hb.  

#51 Thread Killer

Thread Killer

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:37 PM

Some people act like they have no clue what so ever. A slap in the Franks' face? How? If you have experience watching the game of college football you should know by now that you cannot expect a true freshman to come in and be the savior. ESPECIALLY at the QB position. This isnt a slap in Franks' face. This is more competition for him.

If Franks is the best player come August.....he will start. Plain and simple. No matter how many QBs we take on. Have you not learned a lesson here watching UF the last few years? We cannot keep going into seasons with 2 capable QBs. One gets hurt or suspended, then youre stuck with a bum like Treon. And a WR backing him up.

We need as many QBs as possible. Del Rio, Appleby, Franks, Trask, all need to be in competing this year. Treon is done. If he is the best option, then we are doomed. Appleby cannot be worse than this guy. We need more QBs. I'm hoping that Franks isnt bothered by the competition. I really hope he pans out and takes the job this year. Mac needs to do everything in his power to keep Jake Allen aboard. Really wish we could have flipped Eason as well.

Bottom line...there is nothing wrong with signing/taking in as many QBs as possible. A big problem with college kids these days is the fear of competition.

As for Treon....he needs to swap positions in all honesty. He flat out cannot play QB. Sure the offensive line was to blame a good bit. But Harris consistently missed WRs badly and held on the ball an eternity. He has to go if UF wants to compete for the SEC East next year. If he is the best QB we have, we are in big trouble.

Agree but there is no reason to call Treon a bum. He's done the best he could when we needed him. We would have been much worse off this year without him.

• vulcan_alex, Gator2222 and John_Blutarsky like this

#52 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,479 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:53 PM

Yes seems like at times SOS had six QB's.  You need live arms for practice and to run the scout team as well.

I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#53 John_Blutarsky

John_Blutarsky

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:07 AM

All Treon Harris has been asked to do is to save our season... twice! And both times he did the very best he could. I give the young man all the respect in the world for that. I have been fiercely and scathingly critical of him because I hate watching the Gators struggle, but the kid is a warrior and has great heart. I appreciate what he has done for the Florida Gators and I wish him the best going forward. I think it's clear that he is not the best option at quarterback for this football team, but that makes him no less a Gator. 

If he can find another position to excel at and get on the field to contribute I think that would be awesome. Or, if he wishes to compete for the job and finds himself content with being a backup then God bless him for that. Perhaps he will decide to transfer to a program that runs a spread offense better suited to his talents. I bet Adazzio up at BC would love to have him! Whatever his future holds, I thank him for his contributions and for holding this team together during a championship run. 

I know improvement at the quarterback position is on its way. And for that I am truly grateful. 

• GatorDrew, WernerIsTentative, mtn2top and 3 others like this

#54 Lake Gator

Lake Gator

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationSouth Lake County, FL

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:02 AM

I would love to see Treon be successful at another position.  Say what you will about his QB play, at least he gave it all he had and is a Gator through and through.

Hey, he already has one touchdown grab.  Put him at WR.

And I might add it was a spectacular catch and the best thrown pass of Treon's season!!

#55 GatorNation85

GatorNation85

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:41 PM

Agree but there is no reason to call Treon a bum. He's done the best he could when we needed him. We would have been much worse off this year without him.

As a QB, in the SEC at this level, Treon is bum quality. Sure he gave his all. To me he looks like a guy that just flat out cannot learn or improve. Grier faced the same pressure due to a weak line all year but still found the open guy and made throws half the time. Treon rarely does it. Treon is short and gets way too many passes batted down. He holds the ball WAY too long. He misses open WRs more than any QB I have ever seen at Florida. He has poor anticipation as well. He makes a ton of bonehead decisions trying to be a hero. Countless times he should have thrown it away, yet instead he scrambled and either got sacked or stepped out of bounds for a loss.

He cannot play QB in the SEC. Period. He isnt developing. He literally cannot complete any pass consistently except a screen out of the backfield. In which he over throws those routes half the time. He's a Gator and he hung in there this year. But hes awful. If the defense hadnt saved him time after time, we could have easily lost every game he started.

#56 gatorfor88

gatorfor88

True Gator

• Members
  • 708 posts
  • LocationPanama City

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:52 PM

Man. You being just a wee bit hard on the kid don't you think? Sure he has his faults. But even though he likes to smoke the weed he still showed up and did the best he could. Without him I think we maybe were a 7 win team. Remember who was behind him on the depth chart. Hope your kid never plays sports and sucks at it.

#57 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,380 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:16 PM

Most college QB have the offense fit to their skill sets. Grier did.  They couldn't change mid-season what was in place enough to fit Harris' skill.  It takes a great team player to go out there every week with your fans calling you an untalented bum.

• Lake Gator likes this

#58 DrthG8r

DrthG8r

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:01 PM

Seems like we have gone from no QB to speak of to a glut.

DelRio and Appleby are here for one year, and one year only.  They might prove to be a good safety valve - or he (Mac) may choose to start one.  In any case it gives the freshmen a chance to contribute with a degree of confidence next year.

But, now lets fill our other needs with a few reserves.

How many scholarships do we have to offer this year?

#59 Homer J

Homer J

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,357 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:00 AM

Del Rio has two years left.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users