• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 ccnabors

ccnabors

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:50 PM

Just saw on Bleacher Report that Purdue QB Austin Appleby is transferring here. Might be our Jake Ruddock. 12TD and 8INT this year. Thoughts?

#2 GatorKen

GatorKen

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:25 PM

good size, strong arm.  runs well for a pocket QB.   His story may be a lot like Jeff Driskel.  Struggled in a bad scheme and needed a fresh start.   But instead of stepping down in competition, Austin decided to go up to the highest level of competition he can get. 

• DunedinDan likes this

Ken and I are now officially best friends.

I want an OC with the mentality of a High School Jr on Prom night rather than a guy who's been married 20 years and has 4 children.

#3 ccnabors

ccnabors

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:35 PM

Mac is a smart guy. QB battle during spring between Del Rio and Appleby allows Franks and Trask to redshirt. By 2017 Jake Allen will be there and he'll have 3 QBS that are his and not Muschamps . Big, mobile, smart and Experienced. Exactly what we need. We don't need him to be Tom Brady. We just need him to get the ball to open receivers and not turn it over.
  • PAGator likes this

#4 Maxxodd

Maxxodd

True Gator

• Members
  • 660 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:55 PM

When would this guy be eligible? 2017?

#5 ccnabors

ccnabors

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:56 PM

He's a graduate transfer. Eligible immediately.

#6 ccnabors

ccnabors

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:57 PM

6"4 239.

#7 Maxxodd

Maxxodd

True Gator

• Members
  • 660 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:59 PM

He's a graduate transfer. Eligible immediately.

Then I like it! Mac knows how to plug holes. I do feel like we're the island of misfit toys, but it seems like Mac is doing an amazing job on the o-line and QB position with transfers and jucos.
  • DunedinDan likes this

#8 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:50 PM

Eh... 

He's big, no doubt about that. However, he has a slow arm, throws behind receivers far too often (saw several throws that would have been pick 6's against SEC defense), and doesn't seem to locate the deep ball that well. I'm far from sold. 

This is another slap in the face to Franks, btw. I'm not sure why we even recruited him if we felt he was a project in need of a redshirt. What we obviously should have done was hold off on Franks and put the full court press on Eason. There was no point in recruiting Eason once we already had a commitment from Franks. If you don't have Franks in the picture and can present Eason with a scenario where Grier is transferring and the only competition is Del Rio, he likely commits to us. It literally made no sense to lock down Franks if you knew you were going to pursue Eason and also a target in the 5th year market.

I think we're seeing yet another area where the program could benefit from better administrative oversight. Someone at the top needs to be monitoring these moves so that they can step in and say, "Hey fellas, we're getting out of order here," or, "You're putting the cart before the horse there." The coaches are too close to the action and can get lost in the frantic nature of it all. They clearly were so desperate to remedy the QB situation in this case that they didn't consider the order in which they should have been proceeding with these recruits. 

#9 ccnabors

ccnabors

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:00 PM

Not the wisest decision to start a true freshman in our league. Franks has mechanics issues and he's long and lanky. Needs to add about 10 to 15 pounds. Let him redshirt learn the system and run the scout team for a year. I think Mac will win a title with Franks we just need to be patient with him.

#10 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:03 PM

Not the wisest decision to start a true freshman in our league. Franks has mechanics issues and he's long and lanky. Needs to add about 10 to 15 pounds. Let him redshirt learn the system and run the scout team for a year. I think Mac will win a title with Franks we just need to be patient with him.

Then why recruit him when we could have 1.) recruited Eason more competitively without him in the picture and 2.) gone to the 5th year market, like we ultimately did anyway? 

It makes no sense.

#11 DunedinDan

DunedinDan

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:28 PM

Appleby sounds like the Jake McGee of the QB position.  Maybe Mac doesn't take Appleby if Grier didn't mess things up at the QB position for him. 

As for Josh Grady, he was mostly a wide receiver at Vandy.

At QB he went 3 for 6 for 27 yards vs. Texas A & M.

As a receiver, 7 grabs for 89 yards.  As a rusher, 6 carries for 23 yards.

In short, he was the emergency QB, because he was athletic, and smart.

Smart:  Academic Honor Roll from 2011 - 2014 at Vanderbilt. 

Doesn't hurt to bring intelligence into the mix when you need strong graduation statistics. 

Every time I saw him on the sidelines, he was supporting his mates with smiles ear to ear.  I'm sure he was a great role model for the younger players, especially with his unselfishness.

#12 g8torhed

g8torhed

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:33 PM

Josh Grady seemed to work out pretty good. :)

#13 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,380 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:44 PM

That didn't take long.  Looks like things are firming up for stalls in the 2016 QB stables.  Or are they?

To be honest, I'm a bit surprised.  It's a bit early in the recruiting season to close out the graduate transfer possibilities for the QB position.  

I wouldn't be surprised if Appleby went rouge and leaked the news of his transfer.  With no confirmation from the front office, it doesn't have the air of a recruiting coup.  So what we have is Appleby announcing he's enrolling at UF, to be a walk-on in the spring competition for the QB position?

#14 DunedinDan

DunedinDan

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:14 PM

mtn2top, do you mean rogue or am I missing something?  Like he's a fan of RuPaul and the ncaa will attack his rouge like they did Tebow's Christian eye black?

• mtn2top likes this

#15 PAGator

PAGator

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:50 PM

Eh... 

He's big, no doubt about that. However, he has a slow arm, throws behind receivers far too often (saw several throws that would have been pick 6's against SEC defense), and doesn't seem to locate the deep ball that well. I'm far from sold. 

This is another slap in the face to Franks, btw. I'm not sure why we even recruited him if we felt he was a project in need of a redshirt. What we obviously should have done was hold off on Franks and put the full court press on Eason. There was no point in recruiting Eason once we already had a commitment from Franks. If you don't have Franks in the picture and can present Eason with a scenario where Grier is transferring and the only competition is Del Rio, he likely commits to us. It literally made no sense to lock down Franks if you knew you were going to pursue Eason and also a target in the 5th year market.

I think we're seeing yet another area where the program could benefit from better administrative oversight. Someone at the top needs to be monitoring these moves so that they can step in and say, "Hey fellas, we're getting out of order here," or, "You're putting the cart before the horse there." The coaches are too close to the action and can get lost in the frantic nature of it all. They clearly were so desperate to remedy the QB situation in this case that they didn't consider the order in which they should have been proceeding with these recruits. 

Would you please go back on your meds.

• GatorAuthor likes this

#16 PAGator

PAGator

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:54 PM

Mac is a smart guy. QB battle during spring between Del Rio and Appleby allows Franks and Trask to redshirt. By 2017 Jake Allen will be there and he'll have 3 QBS that are his and not Muschamps . Big, mobile, smart and Experienced. Exactly what we need. We don't need him to be Tom Brady. We just need him to get the ball to open receivers and not turn it over.

Appleby was elite eleven coming out of HS. I'm not expecting him to set the world on fire but he and Del Rio might not be a bad pair. The coaching at Purdue has been suspect since Tiller left. It'll be interesting to see what Mac and Nuss do with these two and it buys time for the youngsters coming in.

#17 ccnabors

ccnabors

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:43 PM

Then why recruit him when we could have 1.) recruited Eason more competitively without him in the picture and 2.) gone to the 5th year market, like we ultimately did anyway? 

It makes no sense.

You recruit him because you need a qb for the next 2-4 years. Unless you wanna see more of Treon Harris?

#18 gatorgrad'02

gatorgrad'02

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:30 AM

It makes no sense.

Eason was never coming here with or without Franks.
  • Homer J likes this

#19 gatorgrad'02

gatorgrad'02

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:31 AM

Appleby was elite eleven coming out of HS. I'm not expecting him to set the world on fire but he and Del Rio might not be a bad pair. The coaching at Purdue has been suspect since Tiller left. It'll be interesting to see what Mac and Nuss do with these two and it buys time for the youngsters coming in.

+1

The only downside that I can see is reducing the number of freshmen/jucos we can bring in for this class to 27.

#20 Homer J

Homer J

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,357 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:06 AM

Listening to Gator Country, they said the offense that Franks is in, in high school, is very basic. He is a project for the next two years.

With that said, I doubt he beats out Allen in 2018.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users