• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 PharmaGator

PharmaGator

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 06:39 PM

As a UF alumni and hard core gator, I'd like to say that I believe we got our guy. It doesn't exactly jump out at you after the way we finished the season, but I believe this guy gets it. I'd like to submit few observations for support...

1. We were 6-0 with a pretty good QB and beat some good teams. Ole Miss and Tenn are good. We were better with a good qb. T. Harris is a negative catalyst. Couple bad plays and the snowball gets rolling down hill. I can't remember the last time a guy was busted for PED'S much less a freaking QB. I mean, what are the odds. Mac goes out and gets who I believe is a top 3 QB in the nation in F. Franks, plus Del Rio is on the bench= He gets it, we will be better next year.

2. We have the worst kicking game I've ever seen. EVER. What does our coach do? Well nothing that can save this year, but gets the best guy possible for next year = He gets it, we will be better next year.

3. He's filled several other positions of need and even tapped the JUCO ranks for talent. Coaches do this mostly when they are new on the job and have to get talent in quick for results = He gets it, we will be better next year. 

4. Coaches cant snap, throw, or tackle. They can recruit, and make the right calls during the game. They can play mental games to keep players motivated. Our guy has done all a coach can do. Give Meyer or Saban our team and they lose the same games CMAC lost. Maybe more. Our guy did the best he could under all the circumstances that developed this year. Butch Jones lost games for his team = bad coaching. He has been there a while and got some good recruits, so his guys still do well when he doesn't ruin it. Our guy doesn't make those mistakes. Just needs his guys.

Tons of other examples. Give MAC 3 years and we will be a threat every year to win the SEC. 

• no1g8r, DaddyGator, mtn2top and 3 others like this

#2 dfwgator

dfwgator

True Gator

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 06:41 PM

I can't say at this point that he's the right guy.   I expect dramatic improvement next year,  and that doesn't necessarily mean in winning more games.   But I do expect the product on the field to be better, even if it doesn't translate into more wins. 

• swampairgator, L1RetG8R, DunedinDan and 1 other like this

#3 PharmaGator

PharmaGator

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 06:48 PM

Well it's been painful to watch the 2nd half of the season, i'll give you that. Consider this, I'm sure you enjoyed the first half, so have you really really thought about what was different? The competition? NO. We were vetted by Tenn and Ole MIss, not to be great, but we were good. It was the QB and only the QB that made us plummet to absolute garbage. At that point, CMAC could have retooled the entire offense to suit Treon, and maybe won a few more games, but he stuck it out with his pro attack. I'm guessing this was to establish his type of offense and to build a resume for the recruits he needed at our program. Lose battles and win wars (hopefully). Could be that I'm giving him too much credit, but I think he's a smart cookie. 

• L1RetG8R likes this

#4 Tunaboat

Tunaboat

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 07:27 PM

Mac may be the guy in the long run, but today's debacle did nothing for his resume.  In this game Treon actually made some good plays, but our stellar D was the root cause of failure today.  I don't expect to win them all but we should be competitive in every game.  In this national-stage bowl game the team acted like they were totally unprepared to play.  Did they even study film on the Wolverines?  When the D failed to stop MIchigan, EVER, and the score rang up against us they decided to pout and quit.  Our team was off, sloppy, D line dominated all game and the offense that showed some life in the first half checked out of the room in the 2nd half.  Our "DBU" backfield a joke.  If the D would have come to play the O may have scored enough to be competitive.  What bothers me the most is that this D squad does know how to play.  They just stunk up the field with lazy, sloppy play primarily on D, and the offense followed later on.

Since the D has been good and is highly touted, then horrible today, makes the cause a "between the ears" problem, not one of talent or skill.  No reason why this defense was physically dominated and helpless all day.  This is the coaches' job to prevent thru solid preparation.  Today was a coaching failure more than anything else.  Mac needs to address this as training for himself and staff, and remember the game today as a reminder of what can happen if you allow your team to lose focus.

• ccsdk likes this
What do YOU know? Albert Einstein's wife

#5 ufrusty

ufrusty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 07:27 PM

It's been one season. Right guy? Don't know. I believe there were those who said the same thing the year Chump's team went to the Sugar Bowl and then.... you know. I think we'll see at least one line coach leave town. I'm still not sold on Nussmeir(sp).

• ccsdk likes this

#6 dfwgator

dfwgator

True Gator

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 07:50 PM

It's been one season. Right guy? Don't know. I believe there were those who said the same thing the year Chump's team went to the Sugar Bowl and then.... you know. I think we'll see at least one line coach leave town. I'm still not sold on Nussmeir(sp).

Louisiana-Lafayette told me that Muschamp was not going to be the guy.  And FAU gave me a lot of doubts about McElwain,  that kind of game should NEVER happen to UF.

#7 g8torhed

g8torhed

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 07:54 PM

Only time will tell

#8 dfwgator

dfwgator

True Gator

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 08:04 PM

Only time will tell

Exactly.  But I've seen nothing that has me ready at this point to proclaim McElwain as the savior of the program.  We'll know a LOT more after next season.

#9 L1RetG8R

L1RetG8R

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Posted 01 January 2016 - 08:06 PM

Could it be that they knew this was gonna be another TH start? The players KNEW it was gonna be a long game......no championship......knowing they're really not gonna score.....the QB isn't gonna get it into the end zone......the score doesn't surprise me one bit.

Change the game plan for the benefit of TH.......no. Coach Mac would've done more harm in the long run.....stick with what we're gonna run next year.....they'll get experience. Changing for TH would've been the wrong move UNLESS it's gonna be what you run in the Spring, Summer and next Fall. Otherwise, just grin and bear it. Trying to say TH made a couple of good plays is like saying the light came on when you flipped the switch.....it's SUPPOSED to happen.
Ain't nothin between here & there but air & opportunity........knock, knock!

#10 g8torhed

g8torhed

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 08:10 PM

Mac may be the guy in the long run, but today's debacle did nothing for his resume.  In this game Treon actually made some good plays, but our stellar D was the root cause of failure today.  I don't expect to win them all but we should be competitive in every game.  In this national-stage bowl game the team acted like they were totally unprepared to play.  Did they even study film on the Wolverines?  When the D failed to stop MIchigan, EVER, and the score rang up against us they decided to pout and quit.  Our team was off, sloppy, D line dominated all game and the offense that showed some life in the first half checked out of the room in the 2nd half.  Our "DBU" backfield a joke.  If the D would have come to play the O may have scored enough to be competitive.  What bothers me the most is that this D squad does know how to play.  They just stunk up the field with lazy, sloppy play primarily on D, and the offense followed later on.

Since the D has been good and is highly touted, then horrible today, makes the cause a "between the ears" problem, not one of talent or skill.  No reason why this defense was physically dominated and helpless all day.  This is the coaches' job to prevent thru solid preparation.  Today was a coaching failure more than anything else.  Mac needs to address this as training for himself and staff, and remember the game today as a reminder of what can happen if you allow your team to lose focus.

This is why I feel, and another poster stated in another thread, that if you declare for the NFL draft then coaches should declare your post season over......unless it's really a game that has National Championship implications and something to play for. Some of those guys on our D were already checked out of todays game long before it ever started.
  • gatorfor88, DunedinDan and John_Blutarsky like this

#11 John_Blutarsky

John_Blutarsky

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 09:02 PM

This is why I feel, and another poster stated in another thread, that if you declare for the NFL draft then coaches should declare your post season over......unless it's really a game that has National Championship implications and something to play for. Some of those guys on our D were already checked out of todays game long before it ever started.

I believe that was my pearl of wisdom, LOL. It's always difficult to give assessments about coaches after horrible losses because of the emotions involved. I'm so angry with McElwain right now, I'd like to smack that dumb smirk of his right off of his fat face.

I agree that he has done a good job so far in addressing needs through recruiting; however, Ron Zook was arguably the best recruiter in UF history and all that got him was a field named after him in Tallahassee on his way out the door. 

The problem I have with McElwain is that he doesn't seem to do a very good job of preparing his teams and more than once this year we've seen this team give up. We saw it in the FSU game, we saw it at the very end of the SECCG and we definitely saw it in the 2nd quarter today. That my friends falls squarely on his shoulders. Speaking of which.

Say what you will about Muschamp (no pun intended), but the guy at least took ownership and responsibility after losses. I've yet to hear Mac offer even one mea culpa after any of the four losses this season. I find that troubling that he won't take the blame for the team's failures. 

#12 DunedinDan

DunedinDan

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 09:51 PM

We have the right coach.  Period.  Today was an awful day in the history of Florida football, but so was the 62 - 24 debacle Spurrier navigated in the 1996 Fiasco Bowl.  Michigan State feels like we did 20 years ago.  How do we respond, both as a team and a fan base?

SOS did pretty well the following year.  Mac will have success next year, maybe not a championship, but I still think we win the East again.

The end of the meyer era and the entire tenure under muschamp have been talked to death, but they are valid reasons why the worst parts of the season occurred.  That and the selfishness of certain players, and I am not singling out Grier, but I would use a yellow highliter on him.

Now, let's see what the basketball team can do.  Amd they need to do a lot to be a tourney team by the end of the SEC season.

• mtn2top likes this

#13 ccsdk

ccsdk

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:04 PM

The hardest hit during this game was watching the Michigan fans doing the Tomahawk chop during one TV scan. I want someone to put a picture of that in McElwains office Monday morning. In fact paste that shot in the weight room and in the practice facility. If that doesn't get these coaches aroused then fire them all. 

• gatorfor88 likes this

#14 L1RetG8R

L1RetG8R

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:19 PM

The hardest hit during this game was watching the Michigan fans doing the Tomahawk chop during one TV scan. I want someone to put a picture of that in McElwains office Monday morning. In fact paste that shot in the weight room and in the practice facility. If that doesn't get these coaches aroused then fire them all.

Dude, I don't think anyone will take this loss harder than Coach Mac. He'll use it to fire up his recruiters......they'll point to the places in the game and highlight to the recruits how they could fit there and make a better play.

There's no way a guy who PAID $2,000,000 out of his own pocket to come here and coach is gonna take this lightly. Sure he's getting paid a lot to be here, but he's paying a lot too! Consider it as if the team and coaches are gambling with the HC's money. His demeanor conveys class, not being flippant. I'd personally hate to be subject of any of his aggression.

http://www.orlandose...1204-story.html
  • DunedinDan likes this

#15 ccsdk

ccsdk

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:43 PM

Dude, I don't think anyone will take this loss harder than Coach Mac. He'll use it to fire up his recruiters......they'll point to the places in the game and highlight to the recruits how they could fit there and make a better play.

There's no way a guy who PAID $2,000,000 out of his own pocket to come here and coach is gonna take this lightly. Sure he's getting paid a lot to be here, but he's paying a lot too! Consider it as if the team and coaches are gambling with the HC's money. His demeanor conveys class, not being flippant. I'd personally hate to be subject of any of his aggression.

http://www.orlandose...1204-story.html

So he grosses 5 million instead of 7. I remember what Saban did with Alabama when they lost to Urban Meyer in the SEC championship. He put the final score on every workout room and team including the bathrooms. He was obsessed with not letting that ever happen again. In fact he built a dynasty. Does Mac have this kind or resolve?

#16 gator67

gator67

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:00 PM

So he grosses 5 million instead of 7. I remember what Saban did with Alabama when they lost to Urban Meyer in the SEC championship. He put the final score on every workout room and team including the bathrooms. He was obsessed with not letting that ever happen again. In fact he built a dynasty. Does Mac have this kind or resolve?

I have absolutely no doubt that he does. Why would you think otherwise? Some of his players have mentioned how different he is with the public and when he is coaching them. There is no doubt that he coaches his players with great intensity, but he leaves that behind when dealing with the media. Is this hard to understand?

#17 L1RetG8R

L1RetG8R

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:00 PM

Shoot him an email.....remind him about how his mentor would handle it. Better still, give him a call.....
  • gator67 likes this

#18 gator67

gator67

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:02 PM

Also, the Gators are not paying him 7 mil. Where did you get that number?

#19 Maxxodd

Maxxodd

True Gator

• Members
  • 660 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:36 AM

As a UF alumni and hard core gator, I'd like to say that I believe we got our guy. It doesn't exactly jump out at you after the way we finished the season, but I believe this guy gets it. I'd like to submit few observations for support...

1. We were 6-0 with a pretty good QB and beat some good teams. Ole Miss and Tenn are good. We were better with a good qb. T. Harris is a negative catalyst. Couple bad plays and the snowball gets rolling down hill. I can't remember the last time a guy was busted for PED'S much less a freaking QB. I mean, what are the odds. Mac goes out and gets who I believe is a top 3 QB in the nation in F. Franks, plus Del Rio is on the bench= He gets it, we will be better next year.

2. We have the worst kicking game I've ever seen. EVER. What does our coach do? Well nothing that can save this year, but gets the best guy possible for next year = He gets it, we will be better next year.

3. He's filled several other positions of need and even tapped the JUCO ranks for talent. Coaches do this mostly when they are new on the job and have to get talent in quick for results = He gets it, we will be better next year. 

4. Coaches cant snap, throw, or tackle. They can recruit, and make the right calls during the game. They can play mental games to keep players motivated. Our guy has done all a coach can do. Give Meyer or Saban our team and they lose the same games CMAC lost. Maybe more. Our guy did the best he could under all the circumstances that developed this year. Butch Jones lost games for his team = bad coaching. He has been there a while and got some good recruits, so his guys still do well when he doesn't ruin it. Our guy doesn't make those mistakes. Just needs his guys.

Tons of other examples. Give MAC 3 years and we will be a threat every year to win the SEC.

Good level headed post after an abysmal showing today. I hope you're right.

#20 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,544 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:39 AM

Some of the drivel being posted is really pathetic.  We played poorly in our bowl game.  That doesn't take away what Coach Mac and this team accomplished for the season.

Think back to when this season started.  What an amazing journey to accomplish what they did.  

That says a lot about Coach McElwain.  He was able to us a lot of smoke and mirrors, patch together an offensive line and help this team achieve what they did. That's only going to take you so far.  By season's end every defensive coach in the country knew how to exploit the weaknesses.  Those are things you have to fix with new players, filling key missing positions.

There's a huge difference between this coach and the last.  This one has already won the Eastern Division in the SEC.  I'm happy he's here to continue leading this program into the future. It's going to take a whole lot more than a bad bowl game in year one for me to turn on him.

• gatorfor88, Lake Gator, DunedinDan and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users