• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Lava Lizard

Lava Lizard

True Gator

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:19 PM

NO need to apologize about anything. With the exception of maybe one, we are all Gator fans and want to finish strong. You love the Gators, want us to come back to the prominence we deserve and I respect that. But I just don't want to see Coach set up for failure either. 1. We have a heck of a class already. What does it really matter how you finish if you started and stayed strong. Sometimes we all put too much emphasis on the last week of recruiting season and forget the first. He has already succeeded in my book.2. At the same time, there are many good players out there, and I want them! We want to finish strong because there are too many great uncommitted players left, like every year.3. I don' think most coaches close well because of their abilities alone. Sure, if you are a good salesman and package things well, you are likely to succeed. But Alabama will and always has recruited well because who wouldn't want to go play for a school that has won 10 or so national titles? It recruits itself. Saban never won any NC's at Mich State. Once the ball gets rolling, it is hard to stop. The best recruiting tool we have is success. 4. I don't think it is a sacrifice of talent for character that causes coaches ( and fans) to make excuses for not getting the big 5 star. Ideally , we want the real 5 star athlete and player with 5 star character. It is a balance. And the star categories are largely based on athletic ability. Rankings are a superficial process. Everything is a projection. Most of the time the rankers are right. Hard to miss on a Dalvin Cook or Henry. But how many times have we been disappointed as Gators on a "5 Star"? I think Antonio Morrison was a 3 star when Meyer recruited him. He was a 5 star linebacker this year. Not sure and probably wrong but a Gator friend told me Callaway was a 3 star. If so, didn't look like it to me. I forgot who FSU played in the bowl game ( don't watch the Noles much unless they are losing at the end of the game and I'm home) but I'll bet they have fewer stars than FSU.
Still, like you, I want to get "em all. Go Gators .

Attached Files

Come on Mac! Get it together!

#22 SFGator

SFGator

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 06:18 PM

Can You Close!  A good choice at the question of the future of Gator Football.  Gators MUST finish this recruiting season with a top 10 class.  If not Coach Mac days at being the Head Ball Coach are numbered.

For all of the people out there that really believe we are moving upward I commend you.  Hope springs eternal.  Next year or bust for Mac.  If he cannot get us to a different level of play, from good to very good, he needs to go. 

3 years will be a pretty good indicator of where this program is headed.  Middle of the road or to the top tier of the SEC.   

#23 SFGator

SFGator

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:47 PM

Well we did not get any of the 5 stars but the 4 stars came out in droves.  Kudos to Mac and the staff.  I for one was pretty nervous about the possible flameout of the class.  Yet Mac and staff came through in flying colors. 

Does anyone know where we ended up in the SEC recruiting poll?  Who care about the rest.  A decent spot in the SEC and you are good as anybody. 

Also as a personal note to Homer.. Like your CIB.  I have one also with a lot of good memories.     

#24 KarVer

KarVer

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • Location... Florida

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:35 AM

I admit im sad to not see a 5*
Lot of hype for Jake Allen.. Austin Applebee is gone, I think Del Reo likely will start, but will Trask take over? Is Jake Allen the better future QB? Who else does Coach Mac have for QB? Are they all pro style types?
Here C J Worton wr is leaving so im happy to hear UF picked up a couple new ones. B Class is what I hear and about a 10 national recruit class. Welcome new kids to UF and SEC! I look forward to a good 2017 football season, hopefully with less injuries.. I just Hope and Pray when UF faces Georgia, Alabama, Michigan, Kentucky, Tennessee and FSU they play hard and win by double digits :) .

#25 KarVer

KarVer

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • Location... Florida

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:11 AM

Not-Neo = feb 2016 = PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Let an SEC-Caliber QB emerge in the next 7 months!!!
Going into 2017 season imo we still dont have 1 with a little experience and no injuries. We have Del Reo, imo good but not top SEC talent. Yes very decent and Tough but he was taken down hurt an unable to finish the year. No back up with experience. We will do alright with Jack if other people step up with him and help out more and the RB performance improves and they dont try 25 up the BEEPin middle, that dont work well!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users