24 replies to this topic

#1 L1RetG8R

L1RetG8R

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:59 AM

So many years we go into the final month, the final weeks, even the final days "on the list" of soooo many elite players only to be practically shut out.

The Gator hat remains untouched on the table.

Our coach has had over a year to recruit and had a VERY good first year. So many players said they would still consider Florida BUT they had to remain uncommitted because they had to see what kind of year we had. As far as I can see, any questions about the program or the coach, or even the team have been answered. Now it comes down to how well the coaches recruit and CLOSE things out. Sure we'll lose some of those we already have, but I'm sure they were explained how this works when they committed in the first place.

I'd love to see our hat raised....several times!! In order to run with the elite, we need elite players.....coach, can you close?
  • Haroldsulge and StevenIdes like this
Ain't nothin between here & there but air & opportunity........knock, knock!

#2 swampairgator

swampairgator

Baby Gator

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:23 AM

Only time will tell you never can tell what a young man will do no matter how good the school is or the coach or team Is they still go to another school
  • vulcan_alex and StevenIdes like this

#3 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,449 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:25 AM

I was thinking of if we will play hard and well in the bowl game when I saw this thread.  Time will tell on both.

I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#4 Homer J

Homer J

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,357 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:15 PM

Tune in on Saturday at noon. We shall see.

#5 Travis McGee

Travis McGee

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 09:53 AM

He closed last year's class exceptionally well, no? 

• Homer J likes this

#6 L1RetG8R

L1RetG8R

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:28 PM

I started this thread with emotional thinking, and frustration......something I rarely do. So I decided to dig into the numbers. The following post gives a bit of history.....remember, the 2006 recruits were freshmen on the NC team that year (and included the 2003 seniors).

On a personal note, anyone who says that stars mean nothing are just making excuses because they either can't get the elite players or are afraid to try. I get that character matters, but you can't tell me that the top 20 recruits every year have none, or don't fit, or aren't good people. Not buying it.

#7 L1RetG8R

L1RetG8R

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:32 PM

He closed last year's class exceptionally well, no?

He did ok (but couldn't compete with Muschamp on several top targets.....Muschamp!?!). When you look at the numbers below, given what he was able to do, Coach Mac worked a miracle (but we absolutely "missed" as a recruiting class).

I'm talking about the 5 or 6 elite players that are seriously considering Florida every year that we lose out on. This year's crop of having Florida as a favorite, or "heavily considering Florida" include: Wilson, Craig-Myers, Robertson, Hall, and Hardman. Shoot, Craig-Myers was "Florida's to lose" all summer and most of the fall........and it looks like we did!!

Remember several years ago (2010).....the trifecta we scored in the UA game (I think it was the UA, but might've been one of the other All-American HS games)? 3 at the game, 4 total 5-stars that year. We haven't had a really big class since. Here's a look at our past record for 5-star/4-star players:
Year - Rivals.....247Sports (5-star/4-star)
2002 - 1/8..........1/8
2003 - 5/9..........6/8
2004 - 1/11........1/9
2005 - 0/8..........0/6
2006 - 4/17........3/15
2007 - 4/16........5/13
2008 - 4/12........2/12
2009 - 3/9..........4/7
2010 - 4/17........5/17
2011 - 0/11........1/11
2012 - 3/10........2/12
2013 - 2/14........2/13
2014 - 1/12........1/8
2015 - 2/5..........2/2 (Our worse recruiting year in over 13 years; thanks Muschamp!)

Note: Numbers are from "open" information; ESPN only listed this information in the "closed" source area of their recruiting area.

I think Coach Mac "salvaged" what was going to be a horrible recruiting year, and yes he did work some magic. He focused on a couple of elite players and closed. But now he's had to recruit across the spectrum.....I'm simply asking, can he close and pull a recruiting class like we "should" have if we expect to compete with the top teams across the country.
  • CC GATOR9 likes this

#8 L1RetG8R

L1RetG8R

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:54 PM

Flame me if you like. I'm not a sunshine pumper, but not an old, crotchety doomsayer either. I'm just a simple, passionate alumni and fan, and former walk-on, who misses the competitive years (championships both SEC & National!)......I KNOW we can get there. I just get frustrated. I hope Coach Mac is the answer.

So apologies to those I may have offended.......and flame on I guess.

#9 Orwellian Reptillian

Orwellian Reptillian

Redshirt Gator

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:48 PM

Truth is, we have already seen glimpses of what coach Mac's offense will look like, as they were almost peaking when they dominated Ole Miss.  The offense actually started to gel, with the players feeding off of Grier, who was obviously a better fit.  Grier was not a Mac recruit, but obviously more suited for this system.  I wish Treon the best of luck, and actually appreciate his valiant efforts, but he's not an SEC qb.

That said, you guys worry way more about stars given by college scouts, than what the coaches know about what they see up close.  Just like the Kipers and Steeles of the world, who make their predictions based on which way the wind is blowing, the "gurus" at the recruiting sites have been proven wrong so much in the last 15 years.  If you notice, they used to hand out 5 star rating to anybody, now there are less 5 stars in classes these days and just a huge wash of 4 stars.  Nobody knows better than the coaches. The only way you can get close to this is to see that our coaches are recruiting the same players as the other elite schools when you see the lists of school for each particular player.  Quit worrying about the stars so much; be more excited about Mac's eye for talent than a one-off class (like '06) full of premadonnas.

With Mac getting his QB, he can start adding pieces, as he stated himself.  I am more interested in seeing what that defensive recruiting will look like in years to come.

• Homer J likes this

#10 L1RetG8R

L1RetG8R

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 07:49 PM

Sure the 06 class contributed to our success (NC) in 06, but it was the consistent success of 06, 07, and 08 that LED to the 08 NC. That's the kind of thing we need. Does anyone think the Bama dynasty was built on the back of 3 & 2 stars? I think not. Sure there have been many 5stars who crapped the bed, but there's more who didn't....a LOT MORE.

Sure they need to have good character, but the measureables need to be there too....and that's where the stars come in. A 3star WR is probably running high 4s in the 40. The thing about speed is you either have it or you don't. If we want a team full of 4/5 stars who care nothing for themselves and are all about the team......well, we need to take that little pill and I'll meet you in dreamland. There will always be primadonnas......how the coach handles them is key.

#11 -THE DUDE-

-THE DUDE-

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,015 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:32 PM

Don't focus on "closing" so much as what the entire class looks like on NSD...too many people focus on just the remaining recruits and tend to forget all of the players we already have committed/enrolled.  Always going to "lose" more recruits than you get

• WobbleGator and Vaako like this

#12 ShadowGator

ShadowGator

Head Ball Coach

• Members
  • 4,659 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:12 PM

You can't compare Mac's closing ability vs Jimbo, Saban, etc until they have all been recruiting the players the same amount of time.   For instance, it is hard for Mac to get a flip out of someone who has been recruited by Saban for the last four years vs one year for Mac.  Yes it can happen, but if it doesn't that doesn't mean Mac cannot close.  It just means the extra three years were hard to over come.

Next year, 2017 recruits, is when I will start looking for equal footing for Mac.  That is about 2.5 years, so basically getting a hold of the kids in their sophmore year.  That should be good enough to help him beat all the the top echelon coaches.

#13 mkfgator

mkfgator

Redshirt Gator

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:40 AM

NO need to apologize about anything. With the exception of maybe one, we are all Gator fans and want to finish strong. You love the Gators, want us to come back to the prominence we deserve and I respect that. But I just don't want to see Coach set up for failure either. 1. We have a heck of a class already. What does it really matter how you finish if you started and stayed strong. Sometimes we all put too much emphasis on the last week of recruiting season and forget the first. He has already succeeded in my book.2. At the same time, there are many good players out there, and I want them! We want to finish strong because there are too many great uncommitted players left, like every year.3. I don' think most coaches close well because of their abilities alone. Sure, if you are a good salesman and package things well, you are likely to succeed. But Alabama will and always has recruited well because who wouldn't want to go play for a school that has won 10 or so national titles? It recruits itself. Saban never won any NC's at Mich State. Once the ball gets rolling, it is hard to stop. The best recruiting tool we have is success. 4. I don't think it is a sacrifice of talent for character that causes coaches ( and fans) to make excuses for not getting the big 5 star. Ideally , we want the real 5 star athlete and player with 5 star character. It is a balance. And the star categories are largely based on athletic ability. Rankings are a superficial process. Everything is a projection. Most of the time the rankers are right. Hard to miss on a Dalvin Cook or Henry. But how many times have we been disappointed as Gators on a "5 Star"? I think Antonio Morrison was a 3 star when Meyer recruited him. He was a 5 star linebacker this year. Not sure and probably wrong  but a Gator friend told me Callaway was a 3 star. If so, didn't look like it to me. I forgot who FSU played in the bowl game ( don't watch the Noles much unless they are losing at the end of the game and I'm home) but I'll bet they have fewer stars than FSU.

Still, like you, I want to get "em all. Go Gators .

#14 L1RetG8R

L1RetG8R

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:16 AM

You can't compare Mac's closing ability vs Jimbo, Saban, etc until they have all been recruiting the players the same amount of time.   For instance, it is hard for Mac to get a flip out of someone who has been recruited by Saban for the last four years vs one year for Mac.  Yes it can happen, but if it doesn't that doesn't mean Mac cannot close.  It just means the extra three years were hard to over come.

Next year, 2017 recruits, is when I will start looking for equal footing for Mac.  That is about 2.5 years, so basically getting a hold of the kids in their sophmore year.  That should be good enough to help him beat all the the top echelon coaches.

Nate C-M is a PERFECT example. He grew up a Florida fan.....he was in Gainesville all of the time last summer......attended many games and his position was that he wanted to see how the Gators did. It's EASY to explain why we lost the end of the season and EASY to explain the potential of next year's QB. Sooooooo.....we finished the year as SEC East "champs" and have 4 QBs besides TH for next year and we're losing significant WRs......can Coach Mac CLOSE on a guy who's been a Gator fan and loves (loved) UF?!? During the open period, this guy should have a coach in his face everywhere he turns.....he opens his school locker and a coach pops out.....if not, why not......this is what I was asking when I started this thread......can he close with one of the best "hands" in college football (hands as in like holding 4 Kings with an Ace high: great/unexpected success last season, awesome QB situation, early playing time, PROVEN use of freshmen if they're good enough, and recruits that LOVE Gator football.......). Sure there are hands out there that are a little better, but.....we were 1 maybe 2 wins from being the the CFP! Can he close?

#15 GatorShea

GatorShea

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,296 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:44 PM

Any of these recruits that go anywhere else in the SEC aside from Bama are not guaranteed success.  If they think they see something better in places like Auburn then let them go and find out by experience.  

#16 fcsrx7

fcsrx7

Redshirt Gator

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:25 PM

He did not close the season on the field, and he is not closing on NRD. Can't beat FSU on or off the field, pathetic for the premier university of the state.

#17 Shelby County Gator

Shelby County Gator

Redshirt Gator

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:55 PM

Winning cures everything. So much of the recruiting momentum was built the first month and a half of the season. Then, in mid-October Grier gets busted and the season basically goes downhill (as much as it can when you're still winning ball games).

After the three-week dumpster fire to end the season where we were outscored 97-24 in the three most important games of the season, you had to expect the unstable QB situation to be in the back of the minds of every WR that we swung and missed on. 

So let's not pile on Coach Mac and his staff for not being able to close, because there were plenty of factors that had zero to do with their ability to make a compelling sales pitch.

If we can put a quality product on the field in 2016, then the recruits will come.

#18 NotQyteNeo

NotQyteNeo

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:13 PM

Winning cures everything. So much of the recruiting momentum was built the first month and a half of the season. Then, in mid-October Grier gets busted and the season basically goes downhill (as much as it can when you're still winning ball games).

After the three-week dumpster fire to end the season where we were outscored 97-24 in the three most important games of the season, you had to expect the unstable QB situation to be in the back of the minds of every WR that we swung and missed on. 

So let's not pile on Coach Mac and his staff for not being able to close, because there were plenty of factors that had zero to do with their ability to make a compelling sales pitch.

If we can put a quality product on the field in 2016, then the recruits will come.

EXACTLY!!

Here's what I posted on the other forum("Tyrie Cleveland a Gator"):

Posted Today, 02:29 PM

mtn2top, on 03 Feb 2016 - 11:31 AM, said:snapback.png

Great get to heat up the offense!

Agreed!!!

This put this class over the top IMO. We had some misses on D and O-Line, but it looks like we got some of the most pressing needs met.

Thinking of how the season spiraled downward, you do really have to give Mac and Co credit. QB was about 50-60% of our problem, and kicking was probably another 25-30%. Coming into this recruitment, we seemed pretty solid on D. We really needed to boost our offensive talent(and kicking). It appears to me that all these needs have been solidly addressed.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Let an SEC-Caliber QB emerge in the next 7 months!!!

#19 L1RetG8R

L1RetG8R

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:54 AM

Coach Mac missed on most of the big recruits; plain & simple.

Early playing time across the board.......almost EVERY AREA has that to offer. QB needed....check!
Kicker needed.....check!
RB needed.....check!

Holes to be filled everywhere with the very likelihood that the major areas have been fixed.......how do we NOT fill them? Then to seemingly get "played?" How do the coaches not see that? He's obviously not a mental giant, so I don't understand how they're not seeing through his fake commitment!?! Our ONLY DT commit.....from a school that UF almost NEVER has success with......and again.....our ONLY DT commit. Is he just that convincing?! But I digress.....

I LOVE Coach Mac! He's a little shady in some areas, but I like that in a coach! He has a message for the public.....and I'd be willing to bet, he has a DIFFERENT message to the team behind closed doors......to heck with transparency......run the team like it should be!!

But he didn't close this year.......with recruits who grew up wanting to be a Gator....wanting to play in the Swamp......AND having a situation where they could get EARLY playing time......how can he NOT close?!?? SEEMS like we had a great EE portion and his coaches kinda sat back on their laurels.....losing the 5 star LB......with Shannon as the position coach, obvious holes he could fill.....sounds kinda suspect (like Shannon isn't gonna be around very much ch longer).......

Apologies for the venting......but I feel there's some truth in there somewhere. Still, I'm a Gator through and through! Just frustrated!!!

#20 Lava Lizard

Lava Lizard

True Gator

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:18 PM

NO need to apologize about anything. With the exception of maybe one, we are all Gator fans and want to finish strong. You love the Gators, want us to come back to the prominence we deserve and I respect that. But I just don't want to see Coach set up for failure either. 1. We have a heck of a class already. What does it really matter how you finish if you started and stayed strong. Sometimes we all put too much emphasis on the last week of recruiting season and forget the first. He has already succeeded in my book.2. At the same time, there are many good players out there, and I want them! We want to finish strong because there are too many great uncommitted players left, like every year.3. I don' think most coaches close well because of their abilities alone. Sure, if you are a good salesman and package things well, you are likely to succeed. But Alabama will and always has recruited well because who wouldn't want to go play for a school that has won 10 or so national titles? It recruits itself. Saban never won any NC's at Mich State. Once the ball gets rolling, it is hard to stop. The best recruiting tool we have is success. 4. I don't think it is a sacrifice of talent for character that causes coaches ( and fans) to make excuses for not getting the big 5 star. Ideally , we want the real 5 star athlete and player with 5 star character. It is a balance. And the star categories are largely based on athletic ability. Rankings are a superficial process. Everything is a projection. Most of the time the rankers are right. Hard to miss on a Dalvin Cook or Henry. But how many times have we been disappointed as Gators on a "5 Star"? I think Antonio Morrison was a 3 star when Meyer recruited him. He was a 5 star linebacker this year. Not sure and probably wrong  but a Gator friend told me Callaway was a 3 star. If so, didn't look like it to me. I forgot who FSU played in the bowl game ( don't watch the Noles much unless they are losing at the end of the game and I'm home) but I'll bet they have fewer stars than FSU.
Still, like you, I want to get "em all. Go Gators .

Come on Mac! Get it together!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users