• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Travis McGee

Travis McGee

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:25 PM

What a great season by a bunch of Gators that were picked to finish 5th in the East. 

This group just laid down the foundation for the next several years. 

I knew they were going to lose today, but I enjoyed watching those guys give it a go. 

Nice job, Gators! 

On to the bowl game, recruiting and the spring. And then 12 straight over Tennessee and another East title next year. 

• gatorsc, NashvilleG8R, PS13 and 3 others like this

#2 Kilzyo

Kilzyo

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:27 PM

Finally a poster with some sense. Couldn't agree more. Go Gators!!!!!!

• nopriors likes this

#3 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:30 PM

Absolutely!   An amazing season with a generally unexpected level of success.  Can't wait to see how the new class of recruits will impact this team for next season.

• nopriors likes this

#4 suwanneegator

suwanneegator

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:23 AM

It was a great but not totally satisfying season. Some unexpected wins but also some very painful collapses. The jury is still out on McElwain. He didn't exactly show the offensive creativity that he was lauded to possess.

I expect the same in the bowl game but am already looking forward to next season when he will have less Muschamp players and more of his own.

#5 UFGATORFAN

UFGATORFAN

True Gator

• Members
  • 584 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:26 AM

I went through the schedule at the beginning of the year and said:

We have the guaranteed wins against:
New Mexico State
E. Carolina
Kentucky
Vanderbilt
Florida Atlantic

We have the guaranteed losses against:
Ole Miss
LSU
Georgia
Florida state

The games we could win but will probably lose are:
Tennessee
Missouri
South Carolina

I really thought we would have to find a way to win one of the games in the last column to reach 6-6 and make it to a bowl game.

Never would I ever have guessed we would sweep the east and beat a #3 ranked ole miss.

Never would I have guessed that we would be in Atlanta in December.

Never would I have predicted a 10 win season

We won every game we should have won. We beat a few teams we shouldn't have beaten. And we won 10 games with a chance to win 11 in a bowl game.

This season was a success for sure
  • gatorsc likes this

#6 The RH Factor

The RH Factor

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:58 AM

Tennessee's going to be really tough to beat next season, especially if Harris is our QB.

#7 gator67

gator67

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:12 AM

The success of this year went well beyond any realistic expectations that we had last August. McElwain did a phenomenal job and deserves consideration for coach of the year. The Gators had a very successful season. We are disappointed at the moment, but only because they raised fans' expectations far above what most of us would have dreamed was possible.

#8 g8torhed

g8torhed

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:20 AM

What's this "I knew they were going to lose" crap? I totally expected the Gators to win last night. That game and every game from here on out. I will never settle for low expectations of our Gator football team no matter who the coach or players will be.
  • gatorfor88 likes this

#9 Travis McGee

Travis McGee

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:25 PM

You can call it low expectations if you'd like, but I call it reality. 

Harris just doesn't have it, and he wasn't suddenly going to find it against Alabama. 

#10 Lake Gator

Lake Gator

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationSouth Lake County, FL

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:30 PM

I went through the schedule at the beginning of the year and said:
We have the guaranteed wins against:
New Mexico State
E. Carolina
Kentucky
Vanderbilt
Florida Atlantic
We have the guaranteed losses against:
Ole Miss
LSU
Georgia
Florida state
The games we could win but will probably lose are:
Tennessee
Missouri
South Carolina
I really thought we would have to find a way to win one of the games in the last column to reach 6-6 and make it to a bowl game.
Never would I ever have guessed we would sweep the east and beat a #3 ranked ole miss.
Never would I have guessed that we would be in Atlanta in December.
Never would I have predicted a 10 win season
We won every game we should have won. We beat a few teams we shouldn't have beaten. And we won 10 games with a chance to win 11 in a bowl game.
This season was a success for sure

10-4 on the successful season. But this is why I remain positive about each game but shy away from predictions: Who thought it would take OT to beat FAU or a late field goal by a hapless kicker to beat Vandy or a safety to prevent a shutout against FSU?

#11 Travis McGee

Travis McGee

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 03:15 PM

I went in thinking 7 or 8 wins was possible. 

10? Not even after a bowl game. 

Tremendous job.

#12 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 04:14 PM

I agree that getting to Atlanta was unexpected and, thus, a nice surprise. However, we showed up there with no chance to win, and that's never fun.

Obviously, we were dealt a bad blow with the Grier situation. I think the lesson to take away from it is that we have to commit ourselves to building a lot more depth in the program. Too many years, we've been content to let our numbers slide with the thought that it would get corrected in the following cycle. Only, far too often the issue was then compounded by some other issue and left unresolved. Some things were beyond our control, other things we could have controlled and managed better. We have to start taking numbers and continuity seriously. That means paying valuable assistants top dollar and green-lighting projects that enhance recruiting, among other things. 

As for Mac, it was a decent first year and I still believe he is one of the better play callers out there. It's hard to tell with so many missing pieces on offense right now, but I'm content to continue believing he can call the right play at the right time. 

That said, just getting to Atlanta doesn't guarantee anything moving forward. Gus Malzahn got to Atlanta his first year and finds himself on a hot seat entering 2016. There's still a lot of work to be done and I'd prefer to wait and see what type of progress we make before extending the contract. 

#13 jnagator

jnagator

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 05:01 PM

Coach Mac had an upward trend at Col St. but that was going from mediocre to 10 wins....It is going to be hard next year to imagine a dream season like this year.

We may be on the upward swing but next year is going to be difficult without Grier.  I think the stud QBs recruits out there are looking at stepping right in and playing.  Would be great if we get that 5star QB also so we have at least 3 for half of 2016 and redshirt another one. That would be great depth pushing Treon to #3 if an real emergency came up like Baylor had against Texas.  

Either way I see the Vols and UGA being better next year.  Vandy, Missu, UK and South Carolina should be the same or worse. LSU and Arkansas is going to be real tough especially the Ark as they have been finally seeing success in their recruiting.  

#14 John_Blutarsky

John_Blutarsky

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 05:12 PM

Overall, very proud of the team. And even, Treon Harris. The kid doesn't have it as a quarterback, but he has given his all. And I respect his effort and heart. He's been getting killed back there but takes the hits and always bounces back up. So, I tip my hat to #3. 

That said, the last month of the season has left a really bad taste in my mouth. McElwain can boast of winning 10 games all he wants to but his last quality win was back in October. That's a long time ago. 

Let's see some real playmakers sign on the dotted line and enroll in UF. That will confirm that this season wasn't an aberration and that better days are yet ahead of us. 

• Lawrence of Florida likes this

#15 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 05:53 PM

Let's see some real playmakers sign on the dotted line and enroll in UF. That will confirm that this season wasn't an aberration and that better days are yet ahead of us. 

Very well said. I agree 100%.

#16 gatorfor88

gatorfor88

True Gator

• Members
  • 708 posts
  • LocationPanama City

Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:26 PM

E S A D L O F

#17 NCG8r

NCG8r

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:44 PM

Even if we sign a 6-star QB, we cannot be a championship team without an offensive line. Blame Treon all you want for the losses to FSU and Bammer, but the primary reason for those losses was our inability to block even an average defense at the line of scrimmage.

#18 g8torhed

g8torhed

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 07:43 PM

Even if we sign a 6-star QB, we cannot be a championship team without an offensive line. Blame Treon all you want for the losses to FSU and Bammer, but the primary reason for those losses was our inability to block even an average defense at the line of scrimmage.

Grier didn't seem to have much trouble completing passes on a 3 step drop. That's what was needed most of the time with the O line we have this season. But they also held up really well on the 5 step drop also. Not all the time but sufficient enough.

Harris was just incapable of capitalizing on the opportunities given to him by O line.
  • John_Blutarsky likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users