• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:23 PM

Back in the summer, Arkansas and Tennessee were the two trendiest dark horse picks in the SEC. Many pundits felt they were the two most improved programs in the conference. However, once the season got underway, they experienced some early hiccups and became the object of ridicule amidst a huge wave of backlash. Most people left them for dead; ignoring how they lost some of those games and only focusing on the final result. 

Yet, since October 10th, each has gone 4-1 and are playing some of the best football in the conference. This past week, the Vols posted a shut-out on North Texas (24-0, but the offense would've done a lot more had Dobbs' mobility not been limited due to foot soreness) and Arkansas smashed LSU in Death Valley at night. I think it's reasonable to say that Tennessee is playing the best football in the East and Arkansas is playing the second-best in the West behind only Alabama. 

There's a lesson in all of this. Sometimes we have to evaluate why things are unfolding a certain way instead of leaping to broad conclusions based only on a given result. Astute observers knew that, despite a little "market volatility," these were still two very good football teams with solid fundamentals in all the important areas. 

As for understanding UF's place in all of this, I think a golf analogy is appropriate: We are the golfer who has gotten better results, be it due to bounces, breaks, etc., with a less than stellar swing. Anyone who has played the game has seen this dynamic from time to time. It's known colloquially as, "careering it." All the breaks going your way. Balls headed O.B. hitting the roof of a house and bouncing back into play. An off-line putt catching a grain or hitting a pebble to redirect it back toward the hole. It happens and is part of the game. Golfer A may have a better swing, but on any given day just may not get as much out of his round as the less fundamentally sound Golfer B. You just have to tip your cap and move on; confident in the fact that you're doing all the right things and your results will come. Statistically, Golfer A's more efficient motion will yield better results a higher % of the time than Golfer B's more marginal effort, but on any given day anything can happen.

So, I think that's what we're witnessing this year. Now, it's important to note that this isn't static. We will "improve our motion" as we continue to recruit and build the program to McElwain's standards. I'm just speaking about the odd manner in which this particular year has played out. I believe that Tennessee and Arkansas are the better football teams and each would be favored against us if we played this week, but we're going to Atlanta because we got "a little more out of our round." We'll take it, but we should be mindful of where we really stand and continue working to build the program with the same fervor as if we weren't going to Atlanta this year. 

#2 DunedinDan

DunedinDan

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:27 PM

It looks like Peyton Manning may be through wit that plantar facia tear.  I was wondering if Denver new about the injury ad just gave Manning enough of an opportunity to break the record, but then they let him throw 4 INT's. 

Will the Broncos think of Tebow to back up Osweiller?

#3 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:34 PM

I think it's also important to note that, in those 4-1 spans for each team since October 10th, Arkansas' lone setback was to Alabama and Tennessee's was to Arkansas. Very telling, in my opinion, about where these two teams are right now.

#4 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:42 PM

Cool.

If wgames only counted in the back half of the season, these guys would be in the hunt!

Great info Lawrence! Please post to a board that cares.

• DunedinDan likes this

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#5 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 901 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:49 PM

You have already said all of this... why did you start another thread on it?

#6 WobbleGator

WobbleGator

Level 13 Gator

• Members
  • 16,737 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:50 PM

I like pasta.

#7 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:50 PM

Cool.

If wgames only counted in the back half of the season, these guys would be in the hunt!

Great info Lawrence! Please post to a board that cares.

It's important in terms of recognizing where the real value was in a given season. 

Take 2007. It's flawed to think that LSU was the best team when they lost to Kentucky and at home to Arkansas in the final game of their season. Georgia was playing the best football in the country by December 2007. LSU got the trophy, however. 

#8 DunedinDan

DunedinDan

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:51 PM

I like angel hair pasta with my spaghetti.

#9 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:54 PM

You have already said all of this... why did you start another thread on it?

I said it with respect to Tennessee, but it's important to note Arkansas' performance, as well, since they were the other trendy, pre-season dark horse. 

Bielema is now just the 4th coach to beat Miles in back-to-back years (Meyer, Saban, Nutt). Let's not forget,  he is a Hail Mary away from making it 3 straight because Arkansas had them beat in 2013, as well. This also definitively shatters the "Miles in Death Valley at night" mythology. So, a very significant outcome this weekend for the Hawgs. 

#10 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 901 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:55 PM

I love how you post the 24-0 win over North Texas like that is somehow a good win. Portland state beat them 66-7. 

#11 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 901 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:58 PM

Also, Tenn's 27-24 win over South Carolina was not a good win by Tennessee either. Would you consider our 10 point win over them this week to be good? I wouldn't, but it certainly looked better than Tennessee's. You are saying they are playing great football. I think you just need to say "Tennessee had a great game against a mentally destroyed Kentucky" and that would be much more accurate. They literally have played 1 great game all year... and it was against a Kentucky team that already had their season ended by us. Why do you think Tennessee's wins are so great? Are you looking at the same results I am?

#12 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:59 PM

I love how you post the 24-0 win over North Texas like that is somehow a good win. Portland state beat them 66-7. 

Dobbs had a sore foot, so they forced him to stay in the pocket and limited the playbook. 

Why risk a significant injury that could affect their chances in the future for North Texas? With the full playbook, that's 48-0, in my opinion...his legs are a huge part of their offense. 

Again, it's the "why" not simply the result. 

#13 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:02 PM

Also, Tenn's 27-24 win over South Carolina was not a good win by Tennessee either. Would you consider our 10 point win over them this week to be good? I wouldn't, but it certainly looked better than Tennessee's. You are saying they are playing great football. I think you just need to say "Tennessee had a great game against a mentally destroyed Kentucky" and that would be much more accurate. They literally have played 1 great game all year... and it was against a Kentucky team that already had their season ended by us. Why do you think Tennessee's wins are so great? Are you looking at the same results I am?

I would have to say it's: 

1. Alabama

2. Arkansas

3. Tennessee (Arkansas gets the nod since they won head-to-head in Neyland)

4. Georgia w/ Nick Chubb

5. Florida

6. Ole Miss

....and the rest are a jumbled mess. 

#14 DunedinDan

DunedinDan

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:05 PM

Let's see, the vols are 3 - 3 in the SEC.  Would be 2 - 4 if the Gamecock tight end holds on to the ball.

The vols are 6 - 4 overall (thanks to the fumble) with signature wins over Bowling Green, Western Carolina and North Texas.

Truly, their best win so far is against Georgia.  UK and SC combine for three SEC wins.

How are they considered so terrific is beyond me.

Only a troll would know.

#15 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:05 PM

It's important in terms of recognizing where the real value was in a given season. 

Take 2007. It's flawed to think that LSU was the best team when they lost to Kentucky and at home to Arkansas in the final game of their season. Georgia was playing the best football in the country by December 2007. LSU got the trophy, however. 

No it's not. No one looks back at 2007 and thinks about that because no one cares except for yourself. Someone in the Gator organization has been correctly saying for months that you don't play college ball to get participation ribbons. The total resume of an ENTIRE season is what makes college football unique.

This thread sucks. This has to go down as the worst and perhaps most useless thread ever published on this site. This isn't trolling because the guy who posts this waste of life thread actually thinks he is inciting conversation when really he just circle jerks moot point after moot point.

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#16 gatorfor88

gatorfor88

True Gator

• Members
  • 708 posts
  • LocationPanama City

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:22 PM

If I had actually played football professionally in 2008 I could have been playing the best football in the NFL. But since I didnt the point is moot now isnt it?

#17 cobragtrs

cobragtrs

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • Location"The Benny" GA

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:28 PM

Made some stuffed shells for dinner the other night, and they turned out fantastic!  Also slow cooked some South Carolina style baby back ribs, and crock pot boston butt...Yum!!

#18 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:34 PM

Made some stuffed shells for dinner the other night, and they turned out fantastic!  Also slow cooked some South Carolina style baby back ribs, and crock pot boston butt...Yum!!

I usually don't support this type of thread takeover crap but cobragtrs's post is literally more related to UF football than this thread topic.

#19 Travis McGee

Travis McGee

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:59 PM

Lobster ravioli. Hard to beat it.

#20 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,398 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:02 PM

If the hype was real these two teams would be meeting in Atlanta.

• gatorfor88 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users