• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,398 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:20 PM

I under-estimated Missouri when they came into the SEC.  I saw them as an over-matched mid-west college getting an undeserved ticket into college football's big league.  I couldn't have been more wrong about the third of fourth team most people would probably think about if asked anything about the Tigers.   

This week is a bigger challenge for this young team than some may think.  An SEC road game to the other Columbia to face a perennial division champion will be a test.  Where just a few weeks ago we were the overlooked team, now the roles are reversed. How will we handle that - and on the far-flung reaches of the road?  

The Missouri Tigers are very comfortable and more than competent in the home underdog role.  This is the team that won the SEC East the last two years.  It's a team that always plays with a chip on its shoulder.  After all they've done the past few years in the SEC - they are still not respected.   I hope our players don't under-estimate their talent and resolve.  

#2 PharmaGator

PharmaGator

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:02 AM

Agreed. I think we handle biz though. However, you can bet they realize how big of a game this is for them. A win puts them in the driver seat of the east for the third straight year.

#3 g8torhed

g8torhed

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 04:31 AM

Time to put a spankin on Missouri!

#4 Dugaboy

Dugaboy

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:49 AM

We have the better team.

Missou is suffering with qback problems, a little dissention and desertion. Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida are better teams than they have been in the past two years. I don't see UM being in the top tier of SEC in the future. They should concentrate on basketball...

#5 John_Blutarsky

John_Blutarsky

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:24 AM

Mizzou has taken advantage of a historically weak SEC East the past two years. And let's be real, anytime Florida is down the SEC East is going to be weak. We are the pace-setters for this division. The Ol' Ball Coach is washed up, Richt can't win the big game, Rocky Top is in ruins, and Kentucky and Vandy are, well, Kentucky and Vandy. 

Thus, the East was ripe for the plucking and Mizzou didn't have to do too much to snatch it. All that said, they are still the two-time defending East champions and therefore if we want the title in the East then we have to take it from who has it now. They are 11-3 over the last two seasons at home, so winning there is not an easy feat. 

I am confident of this: Mizzou can't run the football and when they try to throw it they'll be playing to our strengths. I really hope our DBs are studying lots of film this week so they can be ready to jump some routes. If Grier and the offense execute the game plan and the defense continues its dominating ways then we should win this game! 

• NashvilleG8R, GatorTrav1, gatordad3 and 3 others like this

#6 g8trs99

g8trs99

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 995 posts
  • LocationSt. Augustine, FL

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:31 AM

I think John_Blutarsky is dead on.  It has been a perfect storm since Mizzou has entered the SEC.  I think they have done better than expected, but if they entered in say 2004, they would be the equal of Arkansas in the west.  Win the division once or twice a decade and then fade back in the pack.  UF and UT have been down and UGA is just too inconsistent of late.

#7 rapidrose

rapidrose

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:58 AM

This week's game is much more important than the win over Ole Miss.  Yes, that was a great job by the team, don't get me wrong.  

BUT this week they have to go to the home stadium of a team that absolutely whooped them last season and the year before that.  The team that is the reigning division champion - and the gators need to knock them off that pedestal.  

There is a REASON missouri has won the east the past two seasons.  They have good coaches, are consistent, and they find ways to win when they need to.   This is one of those games they absolutely need-so UF must expect their best shot.  They aren't going to lay down in this one.

The gator boys are good enough to get it done, but they need to Focus, focus, focus.  Your goal is nearly at arm's length now boys.

• mtn2top likes this

#8 The RH Factor

The RH Factor

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,016 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:11 AM

Win all your games in your division and lose one or none to the West and you go to Atlanta.

The one game we can afford to lose is LSU.  We were the game Ole Miss could afford to lose.

Non of the games in the East - Missouri, Georgia, or South Carolina are games we can afford to lose.  (Most consider Vandy a given.)

Once you lose a game in your division, every conference game is a must-win game.

Any team with one loss is in a must-win situation.  For Alabama, their game against Georgia was a must-win game.  Georgia's game against us is going to be a must-win game for them.  Beat Missouri and lose to LSU and the Georgia game is a must-win game.

LSU (under Saban) won the SEC one year with 3 losses.

#9 ACappsUF29

ACappsUF29

True Gator

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:37 PM

We win at Missouri and Tennessee pulls off the upset against Georgia then we're in great position.  I don't think we will but we could lose to LSU and Georgia at that point and still win the East.

#10 gatorfor88

gatorfor88

True Gator

• Members
  • 708 posts
  • LocationPanama City

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:24 PM

I doubt very much that Coach Mac considers vandy a given.

#11 Maxxodd

Maxxodd

True Gator

• Members
  • 660 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:59 PM

We win at Missouri and Tennessee pulls off the upset against Georgia then we're in great position.  I don't think we will but we could lose to LSU and Georgia at that point and still win the East.

Unlikely given that we and Georgia would have 2 losses and they would have the tie breaker over us having beat us head-to-head (no way Tennessee runs the tabe in the SEC to get into a 3-way tie for first).

Good post OP!  Agreed.  We need to focus and show everyone that last week was not us having a "puncher's chance", that the early adversity and experince has galvanized the team.

RH, I think I like your posts better when you are complaining. While I always pictured the GIF of the dude getting rained on when reading your posts, they were usually to the point.  This one sounds like a schizophrenic talking to himself about a new theory he has.  Joking, mostly....

#12 John_Blutarsky

John_Blutarsky

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 03:05 PM

In my mind, we have a two game season at this point: Mizzou and Poodles. What happens in Red Stick doesn't matter. The Cocks are so bad they're going to force the Ball Coach into retirement after this season. And while Vandy has a nice defense that's all they've got. 

But Mizzou will show the world whether we're for real. Go into the reigning East Division Champ's backyard and beat them down and we put the rest of the SEC on notice that we're restoring the order and reclaiming our rightful place as the leader in this division and this conference! 

• ccsdk and mtn2top like this

#13 gatorfor88

gatorfor88

True Gator

• Members
  • 708 posts
  • LocationPanama City

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:28 PM

I have no doubt Gators can beat Mizzou. The boys just need to practice well and do what is expected of them. Go beat the 2 time reigning SEC east champ. Doesnt matter how bad anyone thinks they are. They are the 2 time reigning champ.The old cliche still stands true. To be the champ you gotta beat the champ.Mizzou seems to have a few problems on offense this year. That defense is still pretty damn salty. Take care of the ball,score 17 points on offense and 7 on defense and we win this game.

• mtn2top likes this

#14 DunedinDan

DunedinDan

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:13 PM

Mizzou needs to give up the Rodney Dangerfield act.

Some dog I got.  We call him Egypt.  He leaves of pyramid in every room.

We need to leave some Gator mounds in Columbia and some misery!

• mtn2top and gatorfor88 like this

#15 gatorsc

gatorsc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:44 PM

I am just glad we have been on the road, in front of a loud and hostile crowd who thought they were going to beat the Gators. That was not your grandpa's Kentucky crowd this year. That has to be a positive.

#16 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,398 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 09:20 PM

Rare to hear the truth of it spoken by our players - they kicked our azz, on our field, homecoming.   

http://www.gatorspor...09793?p=1&tc=pg

That's encouraging.  Turnabout is fair play.

#17 DrthG8r

DrthG8r

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:18 PM

Let's look at Missouri.

I guess my big question is "who have they played"?

They beat SE Missouri State.  Are you impressed?

They beat Arkansas State  Are you impressed?

They beat South Carolina.  Are you impressed?

They LOST to Kentucky.  I'm impressed - with Kentucky.

The have a freshman QB named Drew Lock.  Our defense is something experienced QBs are afraid of. A freshman?  He may not have enough sense to be scared, but he should be.

They have beaten us regularly since they joined the SEC - BUT look a who our coach was.  Under that guy we fired we lost to a lot of teams we shouldn't have - Georgia Southern.

Note to Missouri:  Stand by to be impressed!

#18 DunedinDan

DunedinDan

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:31 PM

As Doc Holliday said, "No, make no mistake about it.  It's not revenge we are after.  It's a reckoning."

• mtn2top likes this

#19 ccsdk

ccsdk

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 12:00 AM

Its Missouri's homecoming this weekend ... no less. How appropriate.

• mtn2top likes this

#20 Dugaboy

Dugaboy

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:33 AM

Doc Holliday: Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after. It's a reckonin'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users