• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 The RH Factor

The RH Factor

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:53 PM

I know this sounds nutty, but please don't get me wrong and hear me out.  I could actually envision MacElwain doing something like this.

It seemed to me that on most plays, Grier looked at only one player - Callaway.  Like, 80% of the time.  If he wasn't open, it was either a run by Grier or a sack.  I didn't see him looking at his second or third option and maybe threw the ball out of bounds once.  On the plays he didn't look at Callaway, he looked at only one other receiver and didn't look at several.

If MacElwain sat Callaway, then Grier would be FORCED to look for other receivers and not be so dependent on him..

The other option would be for MacElwain to give Grier orders not to throw it to Callaway.

Anyway, if Grier continues to do this, other teams will put their best defensive back on Callaway and cause problems.

Chances are, they'll get it corrected, but I still could see MacElwain doing this as a way to get him to look for other receivers.

#2 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:59 PM

A lot of that has to do with the defensive scheme and what was being given by the Vols.  The UT secondary played a lot of zone and singled up on the TEs and Robinson, espcially in the second half protecting the lead.  That often resulted in Callaway or Powell mismatched with a safety or linebacker.  They were torched under the zone on the 4th qtr. with the Callaway TD, with McGee and Robinson clearing out the area underneath.

#3 BMF

BMF

Head Ball Coach

• Members
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 02:50 PM

He looks at 3 receivers: Robinson, Callaway, and McGee. Powell occasionally, but it seems those 3 are his primary targets. That's plenty. But I agree, it does seem like when he "needs" a play (3rd and long or 4th down) it's only those players. It would be nice to see 2 or 3 more step up.

#4 gator67

gator67

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 02:50 PM

So we should sacrifice positive plays in order to get Grier to go through progressions? What if this costs us a game? Yes, he undoubtedly needs to learn to work through progressions, as many inexperienced QBs do, but why would sitting Callaway be any more effective in correcting this than finding that he is often covered by the defense? Wouldn't Grier just target someone else most of the time? I would think that since this is not the receiver's fault sitting anyone other than the QB is not going to help. Maybe a better solution is to emphasize this in practice.

By the way, it seemed to me that Grier targeted McGee for many of his passes. McGee certainly caught some key passes (as did Brandon Powell).

#5 gator67

gator67

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 02:52 PM

If you look at the most successful QBs in the NFL, I think that you will find that they have some "go-to" guys that they tend to look for in critical situations. I don't see the problem if the go-to guy can get the job done.

#6 Gator2222

Gator2222

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 02:53 PM

Three freshmen playing on the line at the same time at points during the game.  Grier did not always have a whole lot of time to go through progressions.

It was his fourth game.  He will learn, but it is going to take some time.

#7 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,547 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 03:07 PM

Very poor idea for a game, now for some segment of practice I bet this is already being done.

• WobbleGator likes this
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#8 sundaysunday

sundaysunday

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 03:11 PM

Punishing a guy for getting open and making plays is not a good idea.
  • WobbleGator, NashvilleG8R, gatorfor88 and 3 others like this

#9 gator67

gator67

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 03:17 PM

Punishing a guy for getting open and making plays is not a good idea.

A good candidate for understatement of the year.

#10 DunedinDan

DunedinDan

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 03:48 PM

Let's see.  Grier completed 23 passes to six different receivers.  Calloway, Powell and McGee caught five each.  Robinson six.

It's not the 14 different receivers from Game 1, but it is spread around.

Robinson is an enigma.  Fuhlwood is a ghost.  Pittman lost his opportunity with suspension.  It seems when Lewis plays, he a Goolsby get more balls gping to the TEs, and I hope he's back for Ole MIss.

And benching Calloway for a half isn't going to make The Boys try any harder because they are all trying as hard as they can already.

#11 Gatorjim

Gatorjim

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 05:32 PM

Let's just tie Grier's feet together and force him to throw and stay in the pocket
  • CivilGator and salty_dog_68 like this

#12 gatorpe

gatorpe

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:30 PM

Im guessing that last play and Mac's comments last week about Callaway are a reason Grier looks at him so much.

Joakim Noah:
Sometimes, it feels good to be the bad guy

#13 Lake Gator

Lake Gator

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationSouth Lake County, FL

Posted 28 September 2015 - 05:12 AM

I know this sounds nutty, but please don't get me wrong and hear me out.  I could actually envision MacElwain doing something like this.

It seemed to me that on most plays, Grier looked at only one player - Callaway.  Like, 80% of the time.  If he wasn't open, it was either a run by Grier or a sack.  I didn't see him looking at his second or third option and maybe threw the ball out of bounds once.  On the plays he didn't look at Callaway, he looked at only one other receiver and didn't look at several.

If MacElwain sat Callaway, then Grier would be FORCED to look for other receivers and not be so dependent on him..

The other option would be for MacElwain to give Grier orders not to throw it to Callaway.

Anyway, if Grier continues to do this, other teams will put their best defensive back on Callaway and cause problems.

Chances are, they'll get it corrected, but I still could see MacElwain doing this as a way to get him to look for other receivers.

You're right...it does sound nutty. Grier, the receivers and the O-line are trending in the right direction. Stay the course and continue the progression that led to a 4-0 start.

#14 Theologator

Theologator

True Gator

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:01 AM

He looks at 3 receivers: Robinson, Callaway, and McGee. Powell occasionally, but it seems those 3 are his primary targets. That's plenty. But I agree, it does seem like when he "needs" a play (3rd and long or 4th down) it's only those players. It would be nice to see 2 or 3 more step up.

Powell had as many receptions as Callaway and McGee and, if not for the last play, would have had more yards than either. He and McGee each had over 10 YPC. Robinson had the most catches and was targeted quite a bit more and on some deeper routes that didn't connect. I don't think he's locking in overmuch.

But, as the competition rises we start to see who he and the coaches really trust. No touches for Fulwood, Cronkrite or Scarlett. Drop from 14 receivers to 6 at all, with one by Goolsby and one to Taylor. I'd like to see them work in the freshmen RBs but yield to their judgment. Such decisions are dictated by game situations and what happened in practice.
ENJOY THE RIDE!

#15 WobbleGator

WobbleGator

Level 13 Gator

• Members
  • 16,737 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:11 AM

Dumb. Just dumb.

#16 GatorAuthor

GatorAuthor

Redshirt Gator

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationWinter Park, FL

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:36 AM

Nutty, yes, and I heard you out. Not a chance in Hades this even crosses Coach Mac's mind. Good takes by mtn2top, SundaySunday, and DunedinDan

#17 John_Blutarsky

John_Blutarsky

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:05 AM

Terrible idea for a game. We need every playmaker we can get on that field. Callaway is the new leader of the receiving corps and he's just getting started. In fact, I'd argue that he's the only reliable option at wide receiver that we have although Powell has lots of potential also.

The rest of our receivers are woefully mediocre. That interception that Grier threw in the third quarter was because Robinson forgot the route he was supposed to run. If he runs a Go-route like he's supposed to then he might have been in position to make a play. 

I can't wait for Mac to go recruit some more receivers like Callaway. If we can get a couple more like him, we might have the next generation of Hilliard, Anthony and Doering. 

#18 DunedinDan

DunedinDan

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:40 AM

Don't forget that the wide receiver position was virtually ignored under Muschamp.

#19 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:54 AM

Is this thread real? 

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#20 -THE DUDE-

-THE DUDE-

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,015 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:01 PM

Just when i thought i've seen it all on a Gator message board i see this.  A team lacking playmakers on offense for the past 5 years finally has one emerging and the brain trust of the GSMB comes up with the great idea of sitting them on bench...you just can't make this stuff up  :rotfl2:

• intimagator, PS13, DunedinDan and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users