• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

#1 DrW

DrW

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:26 AM

My thread raising the question of racist pro-black attitudes being a factor in starting Harris over Grier apparently has been deleted.

As I stated it that thread, it is difficult to have any kind of racial discussion in this county without inflaming emotion. The hatred of many blacks toward whites, and the rampant white guilt concerning past mistreatment of blacks by whites, can not be quelled with logical discussion. Sadly, resorting to rioting and killing seems likely to continue.

I think deleting my thread was cowardly on the part of those responsible, and  thus I will no longer be posting in this forum, which may make most of you very happy.

#2 DrthG8r

DrthG8r

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 919 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:46 AM

Hate to see you go.  Enjoyed many of your posts, and you are entitled to your opinion - which is just that, your opinion.  We all have them and yours are certainly no better or worse than mine, or anyone else's.

Best wishes,

Darth

#3 DrW

DrW

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:49 AM

Hate to see you go.  Enjoyed many of your posts, and you are entitled to your opinion - which is just that, your opinion.  We all have them and yours are certainly no better or worse than mine, or anyone else's.

Best wishes,

Darth

You sound like a racist who supports that terrible racist DrW.

Had to say if first before anyone else did.

LOL

#4 WobbleGator

WobbleGator

Level 13 Gator

• Members
  • 16,737 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:55 AM

My thread raising the question of racist pro-black attitudes being a factor in starting Harris over Grier apparently has been deleted.

As I stated it that thread, it is difficult to have any kind of racial discussion in this county without inflaming emotion. The hatred of many blacks toward whites, and the rampant white guilt concerning past mistreatment of blacks by whites, can not be quelled with logical discussion. Sadly, resorting to rioting and killing seems likely to continue.

I think deleting my thread was cowardly on the part of those responsible, and  thus I will no longer be posting in this forum, which may make most of you very happy.

fWx327.gif

#5 DrthG8r

DrthG8r

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 919 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:56 AM

Spent 25 years of my ensuring everyone has the right to free speech.  I hope you aren't leaving the forum, to do so means someone has quelled a voice.  People may not agree with your opinion's, but it is your opinion and you are just as entitled to it as any movement member.

No one has to agree with an opinion, merely recognize it's an opinion.  We are not all in lock step.

• mtn2top and gatorfor88 like this

#6 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,353 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:05 AM

Don't take things so seriously DrW.  The sun will come up again tomorrow on the GSMB.  Just take a couple of days off if you need it.  Good grief, the regular football season hasn't even started yet.

• DrthG8r likes this

#7 Dugaboy

Dugaboy

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:06 AM

Oh, come on DrW. Stay around. Forget getting your thread pulled. It was a little dicey for as while there as to when it would be ripped. Some things just do not need to be highlighted. You had a lot of responses, but remember, as someone said earlier, opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one...

Stick around, the season is just starting....

• DrthG8r likes this

#8 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:17 AM

Outside of the thread this thread is about, I found most of your football related posts to be on point or at least relatable. This is a sports forum and despite the fact that racism is still alive and well in this country, it's a political forum topic in the eyes of moderators.

GSMB is special. I don't mean that good kind of special that is worth talking about, but special like the kid in class who lights his farts on fire. Most of the time it's moronic, but you can't look away...

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#9 WobbleGator

WobbleGator

Level 13 Gator

• Members
  • 16,737 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:32 AM

Spent 25 years of my ensuring everyone has the right to free speech.  I hope you aren't leaving the forum, to do so means someone has quelled a voice.  People may not agree with your opinion's, but it is your opinion and you are just as entitled to it as any movement member.

No one has to agree with an opinion, merely recognize it's an opinion.  We are not all in lock step.

He has a right to free speech, doesn't mean he has the right to say what he wants on this forum.  Trying to bring up racial issues on a sports forum is just stupid.  Since we don't have a political forum, he should have taken it to the Lounge instead.

#10 DrthG8r

DrthG8r

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 919 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:47 AM

Wobble, it's not as if race hasn't been an issue in here before.  He made a statement, someone did not agree, and that "someone" had the power to take it down, and they did.  It is an issue of free speech.  If it were not you wouldn't be responding.  The remark was sports related and it's an issue that was discussed last year in this very forum.

Like I said, you don't have to agree with a single thing that is said in here which is your right.  I spent an equal amount of time ensuring you have that right also.  No need to thank me, but you are welcome.

Now do we really want to continue this discussion, or would you rather take it to the lounge? 

#11 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:51 AM

Wobble, it's not as if race hasn't been an issue in here before.  He made a statement, someone did not agree, and that "someone" had the power to take it down, and they did.  It is an issue of free speech.  If it were not you wouldn't be responding.  The remark was sports related and it's an issue that was discussed last year in this very forum.

Like I said, you don't have to agree with a single thing that is said in here which is your right.  I spent an equal amount of time ensuring you have that right also.  No need to thank me, but you are welcome.

Now do we really want to continue this discussion, or would you rather take it to the lounge? 

Free speech pertains to open forums ie, any public property/forum or your own property. GSMB is owned by the Gainesville Sun and is provided to us free of charge. It's their property and they may manage it as they will.

Would you be okay if I came to your house and spray-painted 'I like donuts' on the side of it, claiming free speech? It's essentially the same concept.

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#12 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:52 AM

I would understand if they deleted this thread too. It has nothing to do with sports.

#13 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:56 AM

lol right on cue. Somebody out there is doing their job.

• WobbleGator and mtn2top like this

#14 DrthG8r

DrthG8r

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 919 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:21 AM

I'll say this one more time, then I'm through with it.

This very issue was discussed in the sports forum last year and no one felt it necessary to take it down, and/or move it.

What's the difference? 

DrW voiced his opinion (a very key word) on a sports related issue, in a ports forum.  His opinion may be right, or it may be wrong, but it belongs to him. 

Where do you draw the line?  Earlier this year Treon had issues with the police that were brought up in the sports forum.  The same was true of a UF pitcher who messed around with a crane - that issue was also discussed.

If you are going to host a forum, and make it open to the public, then you can expect remarks that everyone is not going to agree with.

DrW had an opinion and expressed them openly.  If you don't agree, then it's a very simple process - don't respond. The remarks by DrW were obviously "policed" by the participants who may, or may not, have understood what he was saying.

#15 TLB

TLB

Chicks dig me.

• Members
  • 871 posts
  • LocationGetting to the point....

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:32 AM

1.  The thread (I didn't see it) was deleted, he was not banned.  He's still free to choose to post and voice his opinions, or not.  His free speech is intact as much as it ever has been on a private/corporate owned site.

2.  As GatorUrf10 points out, GSMB is not a free speech zone.  This is evidenced by their removal of the Political forum for content they didn't want on the site.  It is their right to remove content they do not want here, or members for that matter.

3.  Thank you for your service and preservation of our right to voice differing opinions.  Deletion of the thread, if I'm understanding the content correctly, was based not on free speech restriction but on site protection and self-interest.

#16 TLB

TLB

Chicks dig me.

• Members
  • 871 posts
  • LocationGetting to the point....

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:34 AM

will no longer be posting in this forum, which may make most of you very happy.

Will you no longer be posting under the LOF alias? ;)

Sorry, but that would make me happiest.

Up to you on how and where you choose to spend your time.  You're welcome and wanted here, but it's up to you.  Fwiw, I've been seriously mulling over my own time spent here and how it may change going forward..

#17 WobbleGator

WobbleGator

Level 13 Gator

• Members
  • 16,737 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:45 AM

I'll say this one more time, then I'm through with it.

This very issue was discussed in the sports forum last year and no one felt it necessary to take it down, and/or move it.

What's the difference?

New management.

#18 Jabberdave

Jabberdave

Snatch Magnet

• Members
  • 8,306 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:02 PM

Go register at TGB.  Not much in the way of rules there like....the-board-that-must-not-be-named.

There's not really an emoticon that says "I'm sorry I honked your boobs, and that you weren't a fan of that."

#19 WobbleGator

WobbleGator

Level 13 Gator

• Members
  • 16,737 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:06 PM

Go register at TGB.  Not much in the way of rules there like....the-board-that-must-not-be-named.

I tried, they rejected me.

#20 Jabberdave

Jabberdave

Snatch Magnet

• Members
  • 8,306 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:08 PM

They reject everyone.  It requires thick skin. 

There's not really an emoticon that says "I'm sorry I honked your boobs, and that you weren't a fan of that."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users