Close Open
Close Open
Photo

What are you most looking forward to in the opener?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:02 AM

Here are my 5 things I'm most excited about driving up to the Swamp to see: 

1. Jordan Scarlett.

I was soooo pumped when we signed this young man. You guys don't even know what a surprise that was to me - I was genuinely thinking we had no chance and that he'd end up in Tallahassee when he took that last visit there. Either that or UM. I simply LOVE this kid's game at RB and think he has the ideal physique to be the big time rusher we've been waiting on for so long. I'm also one of the Gator fans who has never been sold on Kelvin Taylor. I think he's highly overrated and will never be an elite back. I think there are a few others on here who aren't big Taylor fans, either, so I'm not alone, but I know we're probably a minority within the rest of Gator Nation. I would love to see Scarlett (and Cronkrite, for that matter) take a large chunk of carries away from Taylor and, eventually, displace him outright. I hope he gets more than just a few touches in the opener or I will be disappointed.

2. Antonio Callaway

I think this is our next elite WR. We haven't had one of those in a while, either, but this kid could change that. I've watched a lot of tape on him and he just has that look and feel. The fact that he came in and dominated camp from Day 1 also speaks volumes. Really excited to see some deep balls launched his way. I predict he gets behind the NMSU defense at least once for a long touchdown Saturday.

3. Jake McGee and Cyontai Lewis working in McElwain's TE-friendly scheme

We all know what a weapon TE can be. We've seen some great TE performances at UF - Ben Troupe, Aaron Hernandez come to mind. McElwain knows how to utilize the position and should have some great pieces to work with in McGee and Lewis, who made a strong push during camp. Very excited to watch Mac burn the opposing D with the TE's. I think there will be at least 1 TD by a TE in this game.

4. Will Grier

As Pat Dooley suggested in his podcast, maybe he is the type of player who takes it to another level when the bright lights come on? I think we're all curious to see how he handles the pressure now that he's officially arrived on the big stage, but I will admit that it's kind of odd that I'm less excited about the Grier/Harris performances than I am seeing Scarlett, Callaway, McGee, etc. 

5. O line tendencies

I'm not sure how much we'll be able to discern about the O line in this particular game, but I think most of us will still be keeping a close eye on them. Hopefully they can generate a consistent push, keep our QB's upright, and, obviously, avoid any injuries. I think it goes without saying that if we struggle on the line in this game, we could be in for a long year. 

So, there you have it. I think it's telling that my top 5 most anticipated things are all on the offensive side of the ball. Our defense should be outstanding this year and we've certainly got some elite players like VH3, Bullard, etc., but I find myself taking them more for granted this year. Maybe it's because defense was such a mainstay under Muschamp. I'm just hungrier for glimpses of offensive excellence and sparks this year.

Anyone feel the same way? What are your most anticipated things heading into the opener?

#2 gatorgrad'02

gatorgrad'02

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:06 AM

My five year old daughter kicking you in the balls.
  • WobbleGator, gatordad3, TLB and 3 others like this

#3 rapidrose

rapidrose

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:10 AM

I want to see an offense that looks organized and precise.  Absolutely no designed runs by the qb would be appreciated (sneaks on short yardage is ok).

• DunedinDan likes this

#4 gatorkevinatl

gatorkevinatl

Baby Gator

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:51 AM

Honestly, we will learn nothing from this game.  Everyone forgets we won 65-0 last year to open the season, had 655 yards of offense, and 11 guys catch a pass and the rest of the season went well you know.....

• Ga Gator likes this

#5 rapidrose

rapidrose

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:10 PM

you can learn something IMO.  

Last year it was very clear the other team was completely physically overmatched - receivers had 5 yards on dbs etc..  

One can pay attention to the details of the operation though.  Are balls thrown on target?   Is there a precise intermediate passing game?  Are receivers and the qb on the same page.  Can a qb emerge as a guy that can throw it deep on target?  Can the o line generate a consistent push off the line?    Does the defensive front 7 control the line of scrimmage without getting worn down?  

It seems NMSU is uptempto on offense - so it should give the D a good workout.   If I was them I would run it and throw quick screens all day.  

#6 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,346 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:33 PM

Some good things to watch for Lawrence.  There's a slew of new faces, especially on offense, that I'm excited to see.  It's a new era in Florida football with hopefully the offense coming back strong.

I've seen a lot of mention of last year's opener and the impressive start to what would later be a dud season.  Throw that out.  This is the beginning of the McElwain era.  His past shows a consistency in results that deserves a fresh start and look by all Gators.

• GatorRaz and GatorTruth133 like this

#7 gatorkevinatl

gatorkevinatl

Baby Gator

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:47 PM

rapidrose, but NMSU wont be overmatched?  I think i saw they won 5 games the past 3 years.  Listen, I am optimistic and hopeful we will have a new look (can't be worse) but we won't have idea of close to reality until East Carolina game or Kentucky.

#8 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,346 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:53 PM

Agreed, but the offense should grow significantly in those three games.  I'll enjoy following progress from week to week.

#9 WobbleGator

WobbleGator

Level 13 Gator

• Members
  • 16,737 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:56 PM

Gators winning football games.

#10 lizard84

lizard84

True Gator

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:03 PM

Mac throwing his visor!!

#11 gatorhar

gatorhar

Head Ball Coach

• Members
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:33 PM

Here are 5 things I'd be very excited to see:

1. Larry driving into a swamp.
  2. Larry posting about the Gators without any negative connotations behind each comment. 
  3. Larry trying to find Gainesville on a map. 
  4. Larry finally moving out of his mother's basement.
  5. Larry coming clean and posting the real reasons why he has so mush hated and envy for the University of Florida.   

• gatordad3 and Ga Gator like this

1714b95da67658de1268111975.jpg

Cause the Gators never let you down. They're always here. Every fall, they're here. At 12:00 or at 12:30 or at 3:30 or at 7:00 or at 7:45, there is a game. Does anyone else in your life do that? This is a real family. This is the family that's here for you.

#12 DrW

DrW

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:37 PM

Here are my 5 things I'm most excited about driving up to the Swamp to see: 

1. Jordan Scarlett.

I was soooo pumped when we signed this young man. You guys don't even know what a surprise that was to me - I was genuinely thinking we had no chance and that he'd end up in Tallahassee when he took that last visit there. Either that or UM. I simply LOVE this kid's game at RB and think he has the ideal physique to be the big time rusher we've been waiting on for so long. I'm also one of the Gator fans who has never been sold on Kelvin Taylor. I think he's highly overrated and will never be an elite back. I think there are a few others on here who aren't big Taylor fans, either, so I'm not alone, but I know we're probably a minority within the rest of Gator Nation. I would love to see Scarlett (and Cronkrite, for that matter) take a large chunk of carries away from Taylor and, eventually, displace him outright. I hope he gets more than just a few touches in the opener or I will be disappointed.

2. Antonio Callaway

I think this is our next elite WR. We haven't had one of those in a while, either, but this kid could change that. I've watched a lot of tape on him and he just has that look and feel. The fact that he came in and dominated camp from Day 1 also speaks volumes. Really excited to see some deep balls launched his way. I predict he gets behind the NMSU defense at least once for a long touchdown Saturday.

3. Jake McGee and Cyontai Lewis working in McElwain's TE-friendly scheme

We all know what a weapon TE can be. We've seen some great TE performances at UF - Ben Troupe, Aaron Hernandez come to mind. McElwain knows how to utilize the position and should have some great pieces to work with in McGee and Lewis, who made a strong push during camp. Very excited to watch Mac burn the opposing D with the TE's. I think there will be at least 1 TD by a TE in this game.

4. Will Grier

As Pat Dooley suggested in his podcast, maybe he is the type of player who takes it to another level when the bright lights come on? I think we're all curious to see how he handles the pressure now that he's officially arrived on the big stage, but I will admit that it's kind of odd that I'm less excited about the Grier/Harris performances than I am seeing Scarlett, Callaway, McGee, etc. 

5. O line tendencies

I'm not sure how much we'll be able to discern about the O line in this particular game, but I think most of us will still be keeping a close eye on them. Hopefully they can generate a consistent push, keep our QB's upright, and, obviously, avoid any injuries. I think it goes without saying that if we struggle on the line in this game, we could be in for a long year. 

So, there you have it. I think it's telling that my top 5 most anticipated things are all on the offensive side of the ball. Our defense should be outstanding this year and we've certainly got some elite players like VH3, Bullard, etc., but I find myself taking them more for granted this year. Maybe it's because defense was such a mainstay under Muschamp. I'm just hungrier for glimpses of offensive excellence and sparks this year.

Anyone feel the same way? What are your most anticipated things heading into the opener?

Good post. I will be looking at these things now.

• DunedinDan and GatorTruth133 like this

#13 DunedinDan

DunedinDan

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:12 PM

I will be looking for us to win the turnover battle, especially by having none committed by UF, very few penalties, and no confusion or blown assignments.

Oh, and good weather!

#14 DrW

DrW

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:24 PM

I will be looking for us to win the turnover battle, especially by having none committed by UF, very few penalties, and no confusion or blown assignments.

Oh, and good weather!

Forgot about that.

Turnover battle is so important.

Could be critical for our success this year.

#15 Lake Gator

Lake Gator

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationSouth Lake County, FL

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:45 PM

A disruptive pass rush up the middle of the line without the help of blitzers.
  • GatorTruth133 likes this

#16 DunedinDan

DunedinDan

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:17 PM

Is it me or is this thread beginning to sound a lot like Christmas wish lists?

#17 ShadowGator

ShadowGator

Head Ball Coach

• Members
  • 4,659 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:11 PM

... a forward pass.

#18 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:53 PM

... a forward pass.

LOL!

So true

#19 DrW

DrW

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:08 PM

....a forward pass

Love it !

#20 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:16 PM

This is kind of tangential to the "what are you looking forward to" subject, but I didn't want to start another thread solely for it. I'm posting it here because it was something I always "looked forward to," in its own right: 

Remember when the Pride of the Sunshine would file into their seats during pregame and strike up "On Broadway" as the players began to warm up? If I remember correctly, it was usually the very first song they would play and kind of served as a warm up for them. I used to sit with my Dad and grandfather on the 30 yard line, west stands, about 20 rows up. I think it was section 12 through which we used to enter. I always loved getting inside the stadium early to watch warm ups and I'd usually grab a Coke and hot dog from that concession stand right there near the section 12 entrance. This might sound incredibly lame to some of you guys, particularly the modern generation, but just that experience of emerging from the darkened corridor of section 12 into the bright sunlight and seeing the glistening stadium, especially for the first time again after a long offseason, as I made my way down the steps to our seats; then sitting there sipping a cold Coke and eating a hot dog while I watched the Gators loosen up with "On Broadway" playing in the background...to me, that was the best. Nothing else mattered - you knew it was time once again to experience Gator Football. 

I think it would be cool if the band went back to playing "On Broadway" as part of their warm up routine, but maybe I'm the only one who would appreciate it due to nostalgia? 

A lot has changed today, obviously. Our family moved from those lower seats up to the Champions Club in the early 'aughts and we have the high definition video boards now with the sponsored pregame shows leading up to kickoff. I still like to get in the stadium early, but mostly to hit the buffet up in the Club, lol. I can still watch the warm ups and get excited about the game, but I don't think it will ever be the same as sitting down there with a Coke (not a sponsor anymore, right?), hot dog (they still serve them, but I think the ones back in the day were Lykes?), and "On Broadway" playing as Brian Fox and Shane Matthews zipped passes to Dwayne Dixon's boys in warm ups. Damn, those were good moments, you know? The Swamp was truly "The Swamp" at that time. 

• mtn2top likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users