• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 net0638

net0638

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 02:29 PM

I demolished a ole shed that covers my well & I have been youtubing this topic & wondered the opinions of you smart Gators.  Can I install masonary concrete blocks on a new footer around an existing concrete 4 inch pad, fill the concrete blocks with cement, install anchor bolts and build a new shed that way.  I know its prefered to pour all concrete at one time but I do not want to tear up all the concrete.  Its 20 x 16.  Im sure you might want to know the whys so, i want to get the framing up off the ground an on cement blocks to keep it from rotting & to gain a lil extra square footage while I am at it

#2 CivilGator

CivilGator

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:13 PM

Yes, you can do this.   Commercial buildings are built this way all of the time (well, in the opposite order).  They build the exterior and interior bearing walls and will pour the interior slabs last.

This method will put the load of the structure on one foundation (concrete blocks) and the interior loads (your junk, er, uh, your crap) on the slab.

Just be careful when you dig the footers for the block to not let the soil under the slab to slough out or you won't have any support under the edge of  the concrete - you'll never get it back with any significant compaction.  Also, before you pour the footer, remember, compaction, compaction, compaction of the soil underneath.

Lastly, they are CONCRETE blocks, not cement blocks.  Continuing to make this error could cause the entire structure to collapse.

#3 Tifosi

Tifosi

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:08 AM

Have your building permit in hand before you do anything.

Well ladies and gentlemen, I don't think any of our contestants this evening have succeeded in encapsulating the intricacies of Proust's masterwork, so I'm going to award the first prize this evening to the girl with the biggest tits...

#4 CivilGator

CivilGator

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 11:20 AM

It's  a shed.

#5 jbprivate

jbprivate

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 03:08 PM

In most central Florida towns a shed has to be built to code now, must meet hurricane standards and requires a building permit.  If he's out of city limits then it's probably not needed.

#6 Tifosi

Tifosi

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 03:29 PM

If a footer is going to be poured there may be code requirements for reinforcing said slab.  Concrete blocks usually have to be tied to the footer.  Best bet is to give your local code enforcement or building department a call.  Tell them what you have in mind and they will tell you the requirements.  I have seen a city building department require and set of plans for a 'simple shed' built on a conc. slab.

Well ladies and gentlemen, I don't think any of our contestants this evening have succeeded in encapsulating the intricacies of Proust's masterwork, so I'm going to award the first prize this evening to the girl with the biggest tits...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users