Close Open
Close Open
Photo

I have this feeling we will have a hard time finding a GREAT coach..

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Jnix005

Jnix005

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:58 AM

Face the facts guys, UF doesn't have that appeal us fans like to believe. Yes, we have money. Yes, we have built our name into a "powerhouse name" over the past 25 yrs. Yes we have a passionate fan base. The fact is though, our facilities are sub-par. The expectations from the fans can be too demanding. Gainesville isn't the best of places to live nor had an appealing weather element for football. I believe schools around the country have just as much to offer as UF does, definitely schools in the SEC. For UF to be back on top we MUST spend every dollar possible to bring in someone that'll bring some "sex" appeal back to UF. Someone that'll bring back our swagger. I believe this coach will only be temporary but if we have another muschamp like bust, I believe our program will never recover....

#2 GatorRock

GatorRock

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:39 AM

Face the facts guys, UF doesn't have that appeal us fans like to believe. Yes, we have money. Yes, we have built our name into a "powerhouse name" over the past 25 yrs. Yes we have a passionate fan base. The fact is though, our facilities are sub-par. The expectations from the fans can be too demanding. Gainesville isn't the best of places to live nor had an appealing weather element for football. I believe schools around the country have just as much to offer as UF does, definitely schools in the SEC. For UF to be back on top we MUST spend every dollar possible to bring in someone that'll bring some "sex" appeal back to UF. Someone that'll bring back our swagger. I believe this coach will only be temporary but if we have another muschamp like bust, I believe our program will never recover....

Now I was going to agree with your post from the title.  And that was because I don't think we can get a great coach right now, a I don't see one out there.  Those most consider great are in good spots and happy where they are at (no amount of money will bring people out of a spot where they are happy)-- but what you argue is just stupid.

Facilites aren't sub-par.  If you think so, then you only think the absolute latest is the only greatest thing. We don't have an indoor practice field- and this is such a problem because? The heat? If our players can play in it, they can beat those who can't.  The rain? You play in rain.  The cold? Umm, nope.  As for everything else I'm pretty damn sure we are just as good if not better.  It may not always be pretty as folks wasting money on shine, but the machines and medical staff/equipment leads the nation.

Expectations are on-par with every other Power school.  Show me one where they aren't and I'll show you a school that has not won championship.  We EXPECT excellence in football for a reason- they have to compete with basketball, baseball, softball, soccer, volleyball, tennis, swimming, track & field, lacrosse...shall I go on? If you want a mediocrity and losing go with Muschamp. Coaches must believe they can win at any level or that isn't a coach worth hiring.  If that scares away folks, then keep them away! Fans want a winner, not a guy who wants rainbows, lollipops, and kittens. 

You also haven't lived many places in this world, much less lived in many college towns.  Gainesville isn't a good place to live? You think this because?????? Town is small, folks are friendly, and the weather is GREAT. Yep it gets hot. But it rarely stays cold and you have more sunshine than anywhere else in the country, except other Florida schools.  So again how is this a bad place to live? It's ~100 miles to Orlando/Disney (which most coaches will have young families). It has top notch schools in the area for the kids. And maybe, just maybe you forget the coach doesn't have time much time to enjoy a lot of the city anyhow.  As much as we'd like to believe they have a life, they don't.  If it's not football season, it's recruiting season or booster visits or....  College towns usually only have the colleges.  Look again at the top 25 in football this week - 5 of them are in big cities that could survive if the college wasn't there, the rest are based around that University.  So again tell me how Gainesville is a bad city to live in when you are comparing college jobs.  You may be a big city person and need a NYC type life, but most coaches don;t seem to be, so doubt who ever we get would be either.  

Love Gainesville, Love the Gators or leave.

• gatorspook, g8trs99, frankdafixer and 3 others like this

#3 Tifosi

Tifosi

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:27 AM

Well, here is one.  Cost of living.  Highest tax rate in the state I believe.  If not the highest, it is close to the top.

GRU and Cox.

Inept government leaders on city and county levels.

Well ladies and gentlemen, I don't think any of our contestants this evening have succeeded in encapsulating the intricacies of Proust's masterwork, so I'm going to award the first prize this evening to the girl with the biggest tits...

#4 cuuf

cuuf

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:14 AM

Well, here is one.  Cost of living.  Highest tax rate in the state I believe.  If not the highest, it is close to the top.

GRU and Cox.

Inept government leaders on city and county levels.

lol, if you think a coach making 3 million a year is going to be turned off because of GRU?...  The property tax rate is one of the highest in the state.  But Florida does not have a state income tax, unlike many other states, so actually cost of living in Florida is one of the cheapest and one of the primary reasons why many people move here pre-retirement.  

#5 gatorpe

gatorpe

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:27 AM

lol, if you think a coach making 3 million a year is going to be turned off because of GRU?...  The property tax rate is one of the highest in the state.  But Florida does not have a state income tax, unlike many other states, so actually cost of living in Florida is one of the cheapest and one of the primary reasons why many people move here pre-retirement.  

Dont argue with a conservative.  Gainesville sucks. It is full of pointy headed liberals and tree huggers (tree city) and innovation killing city officials.  I guess that is why it is so many people have moved here the last few decades.

• sundaysunday likes this

Joakim Noah:
Sometimes, it feels good to be the bad guy

#6 Tifosi

Tifosi

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:00 AM

Read much?  Was I making reference to the state?  No, I didn't think so.  And did I mention any impact on a new coach?  No, did not do that either.  Point was made that Gainesville is such a great place to live.  I offered three reasons that it is not.  I will endeavor to make things easier for you to understand next time.

Well ladies and gentlemen, I don't think any of our contestants this evening have succeeded in encapsulating the intricacies of Proust's masterwork, so I'm going to award the first prize this evening to the girl with the biggest tits...

#7 diehardg8r

diehardg8r

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 6,941 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:02 AM

Hey Pe, take this to the political forum if that's where you intend to go. And I am sure the city politics has nothing to do with why Gainesville has seen an influx in population. The University continues to grow as does Shands, hence, a population growth.  

I live in Gainesville for 3 years while I was in school and it's a great little town and very well located. I live in Va now and I can tell you that anyone complaining of taxes in Florida should get some perspective.  

I do think we can find a good HBC if Foley will take his time. 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.” Dante

#8 diehardg8r

diehardg8r

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 6,941 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:10 AM

I do think Patterson would leave TCU for UF if the money was right and he was given some time to turn things around, not sure how well he could recruit and that's a concern. Some have mentioned Kiffin but I can't stomach the thought and he's tried his hand several times and it didn't work out. 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.” Dante

#9 gatorfool

gatorfool

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:10 AM

Well,  I saw a poll as  recently as this year saying UF was #2 college coaching gig in america only behind Texas

#10 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,380 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:24 AM

Relax people.  This is still one of the best jobs in coaching and one of the best places to do it.  We're going to improve our situation dramatically and move forward from here.  

• GatormanTX and cobragtrs like this

#11 mveal2006

mveal2006

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:25 AM

we don't need a great coach, just a good one who doesn't cost us wins. our talent will put us in the elite and good fortune will bring an occasional championship. we aren't all that great financially, since we have to pay $10 million to the outgoing staff and we have spent so much money on non football related things. I doubt coaches that work 100 hours a week can worry too much about whether Gainesville as opera, or feed in solar tariffs or other things that the newspaper cares about. what we have that the coaches want is talent to select from in large quantities.

#12 fischerwood

fischerwood

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationNE Georgia

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:13 AM

Well said

Gator since Larry Dupree was a FB

#13 Jnix005

Jnix005

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:06 PM

I'm just saying I went to UGA. I almost moved to Knoxville. I've been to many other campuses. Gainesville in my opinion just doesn't rank up there for many reasons. And like it or not, teenagers are attracted to bama/Oregon type facilities. We just need to make a few changes that'll spark interest into some of these recruits that's just seem to have no interest in UF.

#14 cuuf

cuuf

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:17 PM

Read much?  Was I making reference to the state?  No, I didn't think so.  And did I mention any impact on a new coach?  No, did not do that either.  Point was made that Gainesville is such a great place to live.  I offered three reasons that it is not.  I will endeavor to make things easier for you to understand next time.

Really?  You said tax rate, which implies an income based tax.  I just pointed out that you meant property tax rate.  Those are significant distinctions for an individual that makes literally millions a year, and why many professional athletes make Florida their home.  I was just don't believe items like GRU and the biomass plant are issues that would deter someone from coming here.  Now maybe, Gainesville being a smaller college town?  But if I was coming up with issues as to why Gville is unappealing, those would be way down on the list.  

Why do you have to respond so aggressively as if I personally insulted you?  I didn't question your intelligence and yet you feel that you need to question mine?  Relax we are all Gators here just conversing on a message board.

#15 Tifosi

Tifosi

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:27 PM

if I ain't *****ing I ain't happy... :seestars:

#16 Seanryan596

Seanryan596

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:45 AM

Yes, Florida doesn't have appeal...why would our delusional fans think that?

Athlon sports - Number 2 overall

http://athlonsports....ching-jobs-2014

Fox Sports - number 1

http://www.foxsports...football-080314

sporting news - number 2 

http://www.sportingn...su/slide/192591

Yes. We are just a second tier program.

Top five revenue now with SEC network yearly

Top tier facilities compared to 90 percent of the country despite the annoying whining by our fans about them.

Huge fan base and Booster support

One of the most well liked and respected AD's in the country

Ability to win instantly

The flagship of the best state to recruit in the best area to recruit in the country

In the top conference in the country

In the SEC east, which is really down

Two young QBs most believe have a bright future to start your team with, as well as a ton of young talent from good recruiting classes

Chance to win titles as good as ANY school in the country, hands down.

The only negative? Some annoying fans. That isn't stopping an elite coach from coming here. Coaches have egos. At least the great ones. We are as good a job as any in the nation. It's not just "our delusional fans". Because everyone views UF as a top job. Go read SEC rant, they are all assuming we land whomever we want. Watch ESPN, see the big names being tossed around. Everyone, but apparently a few of our fans, thinks UF is a top job. Maybe you guys just need to think happier?

• GatorRock, AugustaGator and gatorspook like this

#17 gatorpe

gatorpe

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:55 AM

we have a winner ^^^^^^

Joakim Noah:

#18 ShadowGator

ShadowGator

Head Ball Coach

• Members
  • 4,659 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:51 AM

Agreed about UF being great...   we just need the "it" factor, the "sex appeal", etc   We lost some of that due to our record of course, but we also lose some of it due to other programs such as Oregon.  UF sounds great and looks great to us old guys, but to kids we do have some "meh" to get over.  We needs some more atmosphere in the swamp, more pounding music besides just the band.  Make it an event for the players to get pumped up for. 

The stadium is great, but shows it's age sometimes.   Maybe add a partial roof around it to offer some shade, but paint it bright orange and blue on the bottom side to add more to the look from the field?  I don't know, just something to liven up the look for these kids (and fans).

#19 gatorpe

gatorpe

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:00 AM

Have you seen some of these young (students) fans?  Most are staring at there phone while most of the girls are strutting around in boots, oblivious to the fact we play football.  Someone post awhile back that they thought the last decade or so our standards are so high to get in most are REAL students here to study and make the big $$$ money one day and sports are just a distraction. I weep at the future of this country ;)

Joakim Noah:

#20 rkoch7

rkoch7

Redshirt Gator

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:21 PM

I'm just saying I went to UGA. I almost moved to Knoxville. I've been to many other campuses. Gainesville in my opinion just doesn't rank up there for many reasons. And like it or not, teenagers are attracted to bama/Oregon type facilities. We just need to make a few changes that'll spark interest into some of these recruits that's just seem to have no interest in UF.

Have you been to Tuscaloosa? I've been there twice - once as a UF fan and once as fan of neither team (good friend is a Bama booster so I go with him sometimes). Tuscaloosa has nothing on Gainesville. It's not even close. About the only thing they have is an indoor practice field, which I believe UF will have soon enough. That said, Athens is awesome, so I'll give you that one, but that job is not better than UF - based completely on weather and recruiting base.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users