67 replies to this topic

#1 swampcabbage

swampcabbage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:29 PM

All year the fans realized a change had to be made at the QB position, and all year Coach Muschamp has literally rubbed our noses in it.  I appreciate "some" of the loyalty he demonstrated toward Driskel but it got to the point very early in the season where failure to make the change was affecting the entire team.

It bothers me a great deal that as head coach Muschamp waited too long into the season to do what was right for the team, the fans, the university, Harris and even Driskel.  Had he made the change everyone else was able to see as being necessary we could have been much farther along and even ranked.

Had he made this move earlier it could have given Harris the confidence he needed, and he would be running much more sophisticated plays.  If you listened to Gary Danielson (CBS) he said the playbook for this game was half the size it would normally be. By the same token such a move may have motivated Driskel to improve his level of play. 

It bothers me that our Gators would be in such a better position today had Coach Muschamp done what should have been done when the entire world saw it.

Does today change anything in your mind with respect to a coaching change?  I believe Foley sent the signal when he joined the team on the sideline before the game was over.

• Wait ’til next year and g8tortech like this

#2 GatormanTX

GatormanTX

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,079 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:37 PM

All year the fans realized a change had to be made at the QB position, and all year Coach Muschamp has literally rubbed our noses in it.  I appreciate "some" of the loyalty he demonstrated toward Driskel but it got to the point very early in the season where failure to make the change was affecting the entire team.

It bothers me a great deal that as head coach Muschamp waited too long into the season to do what was right for the team, the fans, the university, Harris and even Driskel.  Had he made the change everyone else was able to see as being necessary we could have been much farther along and even ranked.

Had he made this move earlier it could have given Harris the confidence he needed, and he would be running much more sophisticated plays.  If you listened to Gary Danielson (CBS) he said the playbook for this game was half the size it would normally be. By the same token such a move may have motivated Driskel to improve his level of play. 

It bothers me that our Gators would be in such a better position today had Coach Muschamp done what should have been done when the entire world saw it.

Does today change anything in your mind with respect to a coaching change?  I believe Foley sent the signal when he joined the team on the sideline before the game was over.

The only place I disagree is that I am not sure a coach really has to do anything for the fans. His job is to prepare the players and win. Just my opinion on this, nothing more. 

I did not determine for myself that WM was a bad coach from any one game nor will I say he is a good coach because of one game. I have thought he was in over his head since he got here and I still believe that. If he won every game except FSU at this point and we saw improvement every game, I would still not like hi as a coach but I won't complain if they ended up keeping him. 

• vulcan_alex likes this

You can't spell toolbox with O and X

#3 g8torhed

g8torhed

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:48 PM

What bothers me is they spent 2 weeks with a new starting QB just to run the ball the whole game? I mean Driskel could have done that. I know that game plan, for whatever reason, worked today but that more than likely will not carry them the rest of the season.
  • Amazin1, GatormanTX and Wait ’til next year like this

#4 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,443 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:51 PM

Well perhaps instead of insisting on running an offense the coaches finally did what Champ said.  Run plays that the players can execute, do them very well and you get what we saw today.  Now some passing plays need to be added for the next game.

Beat Vandy!!!!!

I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#5 Travis McGee

Travis McGee

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:54 PM

There was no need for Harris to throw it today considering how great they were running it. 

I'm sure there was a passing game planned out, but why bother using it?

• Timinator69 likes this

#6 MeyerRules

MeyerRules

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationWest Palm

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:59 PM

I agree!  Beating UGA is the most important thing this week.  If Ga couldn't stop the run then why throw it.  I'm sure we will see more of what Harris can do next week vs Vandy.  If out TE didn't drop the damn ball against LSU we would be in a great position to win the East.

• Timinator69 likes this

#7 swampcabbage

swampcabbage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

The only place I disagree is that I am not sure a coach really has to do anything for the fans. His job is to prepare the players and win. Just my opinion on this, nothing more. 

I did not determine for myself that WM was a bad coach from any one game nor will I say he is a good coach because of one game. I have thought he was in over his head since he got here and I still believe that. If he won every game except FSU at this point and we saw improvement every game, I would still not like hi as a coach but I won't complain if they ended up keeping him. 

You're taking the high road, and that's a good thing. 

I'm a Gator, and have been, since Ray Graves and can remember many, many years of us accepting any season that had more "W's" than "L's".  I do believe he has an obligation to the fans.  When I travel to see a game I pay in excess of $1 thousand.  When I send the Alumni Association an annual contribution and then another one to the Atheletic Asscociation I kind of feel like I'm entitled to at least an occassional "warm fuzzy".

• Wait ’til next year likes this

#8 ReelGatorDoc

ReelGatorDoc

Head Ball Coach

• Members
  • 3,528 posts

I'm thinking we need to be working on the passing game with Harris

we'll need it

Kid was resourceful thought
It's Great to be a Florida GATOR!

#9 GatormanTX

GatormanTX

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,079 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:01 PM

I hear you. It is not the high road, I just look at as a business and what a CEO's # role is. The fans come 2nd to that. If he performs on role#1 the he really has no fan issue. If he does not perform on role #1 it is still role #1 that gets him fired, not the fans.

#10 swampcabbage

swampcabbage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:02 PM

What bothers me is they spent 2 weeks with a new starting QB just to run the ball the whole game? I mean Driskel could have done that. I know that game plan, for whatever reason, worked today but that more than likely will not carry them the rest of the season.

A lot of truth in what you say, and that's my whole point.  Had he started Harris earlier in the season then he (Harris) would have been far more advanced at this point.

#11 GatormanTX

GatormanTX

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,079 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:05 PM

I do not know for sure that Harris is not developed enough to throw the ball. I think will believes defense wins games and the Offense only needs to do as much as necessary to win. That works sometimes but it is not a long term winning strategy. Some are saying we had no need to pass tonight because the run was working. Yes, but there is a reason you mix it up, because doing so opens up each game. It may have worked tonight, but it will not work for long, 

• g8tortech likes this

#12 swampcabbage

swampcabbage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:05 PM

I hear you. It is not the high road, I just look at as a business and what a CEO's # role is. The fans come 2nd to that. If he performs on role#1 the he really has no fan issue. If he does not perform on role #1 it is still role #1 that gets him fired, not the fans.

I look at things from the viewpoint of a retired military member.  I'm not going to leave a Wing Commander in place who isn't performing because that's exactly what he is being paid to do.  If one man can't do it then move over, someone else is waiting to assume that role.

#13 swampcabbage

swampcabbage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:07 PM

I do not know for sure that Harris is not developed enough to throw the ball. I think will believes defense wins games and the Offense only needs to do as much as necessary to win. That works sometimes but it is not a long term winning strategy. Some are saying we had no need to pass tonight because the run was working. Yes, but there is a reason you mix it up, because doing so opens up each game. It may have worked tonight, but it will not work for long, 

I'm not knocking today's game plan.  It was simple to the point that it was complicated...at least to Georgia.

Harris will do better in the passing game, and I believe we will see Driskel again.  You never know!

#14 swampcabbage

swampcabbage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:09 PM

I agree!  Beating UGA is the most important thing this week.  If Ga couldn't stop the run then why throw it.  I'm sure we will see more of what Harris can do next week vs Vandy.  If out TE didn't drop the damn ball against LSU we would be in a great position to win the East.

I'm almost afraid to say this, but here goes.

Next week against Vandy -- it should be a good practice for South Carolina.

#15 Litigator4th

Litigator4th

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:13 PM

We are never going to consistently win games--especially title games--if we can only throw the ball 10 times for 27 yards. The win tonight was as amazing for our team as it was devastating for Richt. I'll take it and enjoy it but muscrap has shown me nothing to change my opinion that he needs to go.
  • Homer J and g8tortech like this

#16 nugent1021

nugent1021

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:16 PM

or, hindsight being 20 20, Brissett was a better option -I mean, that's what this whole thread is about - hindsight ------ and giving someone the opportunity over another - apparently Brissett was the better game quarterback. 

#17 Homer J

Homer J

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,357 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:20 PM

This is the same gameplan we ran against USCe last season.  They should have thrown a few shot passes on 1st or 2nd down just to keep the D honest.  As for Treon not knowing the offense, it's the same offense he ran for 3 years in high school. Go check out Clemson's freshman QB, who also ran the same offense in high school as he does at Clemson. They are not holding him back.

FYI, Treon has not lost a game, in which he has started at QB, in years.

#18 swampcabbage

swampcabbage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:23 PM

or, hindsight being 20 20, Brissett was a better option -I mean, that's what this whole thread is about - hindsight ------ and giving someone the opportunity over another - apparently Brissett was the better game quarterback. 

In essence every thread posted in Gatorports forum is hindsight, but isn't hindsight what gives a person vision?

#19 gatorpe

gatorpe

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:27 PM

What bothers me is when you fckn DOMINATE our most hated rival and fans find problems with it.  We beat their asses today when they were a big favorite.  It does not get  better than beating UGA in dominate style.  I can never remember when we beat them so badly at the line of scrimmage.

• gatorfor88 and Jd8108 like this

Joakim Noah:
Sometimes, it feels good to be the bad guy

#20 GatormanTX

GatormanTX

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,079 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:35 PM

Do you realize this is a discussion board? What do you want a board where everyone just says the same thing over and over? Wait, soho does that, but you know what I mean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users