Close Open
Close Open
Photo

The rhetoric about keeping Muschamp so the "kids" can try for a bowl is misguided

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#41 Jabberdave

Jabberdave

Snatch Magnet

• Members
  • 8,322 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:52 AM

Several players praised him and showed rather strong support during the press conference yesterday.  Everything coming from the players has been supportive of Muschamp and the coaching staff.  I just think rocking the entire boat that hard is a bad idea.  I know to us it is just one year.  To some of these kids, it's 1/4 or more of their college careers.  Besides, while we all sit here expecting gloom and doom, the season is not lost mathmatically.  Beat UGA and momentum is gained, confidence built. 

I say that knowing full well that not many of us, if any of us, have any faith left. 

• cuuf likes this

There's not really an emoticon that says "I'm sorry I honked your boobs, and that you weren't a fan of that."

#42 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:20 PM

Several players praised him and showed rather strong support during the press conference yesterday.  Everything coming from the players has been supportive of Muschamp and the coaching staff.  I just think rocking the entire boat that hard is a bad idea.  I know to us it is just one year.  To some of these kids, it's 1/4 or more of their college careers.  Besides, while we all sit here expecting gloom and doom, the season is not lost mathmatically.  Beat UGA and momentum is gained, confidence built. 

I say that knowing full well that not many of us, if any of us, have any faith left. 

Jabber - What else are they going to say? They're coached by a PR team, for crying out loud. Believe me, there are probably already several players organizing their transfer plans. 

And, frankly, I don't feel too much pity for a lot of the "usual suspects" in the starting lineup. The players I feel bad for are some of the back ups who aren't getting a chance to see if they can help. Maybe there are some playmakers sitting on the bench who would be energized by an interim coach that opened up the playbook and gave them legitimate opportunities to demonstrate their skills. And, look, maybe some of those guys are worse and really do belong behind our unproductive starters....if so, oh well....what will we have lost? A chance to play in the Duck Bowl? 

This fan base has lost belief and hope. Firing him now would at least make a statement and give the fans something to cheer for rather than cheering against. You can't ignore that reality: until he is officially fired, we will have fans that believe it's better to lose than win. They aren't going to come to games because 1.) they feel like they know what they're getting with Muschamp and 2.) they don't want to cheer for his prolonged tenure. They also no longer trust Foley because a lot of fans felt he should have been canned last year after the Vandy and GA Southern debacles. So there's a lot of negative energy. At least the promotion of Kurt Roper or someone and the opportunity to let more kids see if they can help us would create a positive theme for which the fan base could cheer. 

In short, there is going to be a lot of resentment and negativity until he is officially fired. 

#43 WobbleGator

WobbleGator

Level 13 Gator

• Members
  • 16,737 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:50 PM

You still haven't answered my question Lawrence. 

#44 Jabberdave

Jabberdave

Snatch Magnet

• Members
  • 8,322 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:53 PM

The answer is potato because insects can't drive a stick. 

There's not really an emoticon that says "I'm sorry I honked your boobs, and that you weren't a fan of that."

#45 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:53 PM

What question is that?

#46 WobbleGator

WobbleGator

Level 13 Gator

• Members
  • 16,737 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:06 PM

What question is that?

So if you matter so much, how is it that you didn't get Muschamp fired already?

#47 DocGator

DocGator

Redshirt Gator

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:16 PM

I have been a Gator Booster since 1989, that was the year the I purchased my season tix. My wife and I also travel to at least 2 away games every year. I rarely post on these message boards because of whinny toads like the originator of this thread. I am not a Bull Gator, but do make a significant donation to the UAA every year to renew my tx. I am friends with many who are Bull Gators. As a whole we recognize sports for what they are; entertainment, pure and simple.

Where does this fool get the nads big enough to believe that something was "stolen" from him? Nothing was/has been stolen from anyone. lawrence has chosen of his own free will not to attend games. So in effect, he has stolen from himself.

I am sure this "lawrence" is clueless about Gator football history prior to the arrival of Spurrier. The 70's and 80's were a disaster. But that didn't stop fans from attending games.

The 90's brought us for a wild ride with Spurrier, and we continued into the 2,000's with Meyer. We experienced a bump with Zook, but recovered with the arrival of Meyer. 

My point; if someone does not like the product then don't go. But stop your crying about "how it was stolen" from you.

You sound like a little, never worked a day in your life spoiled child. 

• DocGator, WobbleGator, lagator and 3 others like this

#48 Jabberdave

Jabberdave

Snatch Magnet

• Members
  • 8,322 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:21 PM

I am sorry that I can only "Like" the previous post once. 

Well said, sir. 

#49 WobbleGator

WobbleGator

Level 13 Gator

• Members
  • 16,737 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:25 PM

I find it funny that Doc liked his own post. :laugh:

It is a great post though.

#50 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:26 PM

Wobble- I just scrolled back through the thread and saw you asked "if you matter so much, why haven't you gotten him fired yet?"...I assume this is what you're referring to?

If so, my response is:

Basically, it doesn't work like that. One person - no matter how much they donate - doesn't get to demand a coach be fired (or hired, for that matter). I also stated in a previous post that I'm not Gale Lemerand or Stumpy Harris. I'm a Bull Gator, but there are different levels of Bull Gators (although not officially delineated). I consider the top level Bull Gators to be "legacy donors" - they have their names on buildings and are prime candidates for leadership positions within Gator Boosters, Inc. However, even one of these men, by themselves, isn't going to dictate an action. 

The problem we're facing right now is that we have an A.D. who is clinging to his stubborn pride. He felt he had identified another rising star in Muschamp and had outsmarted the establishment by nabbing him away from his "coach in waiting" post at TX. However, his inexperience as a head coach has blown up in our face and it's been painfully clear he simply has no clue how to manage the offensive side of the football (be it play calling, selecting coaches, or targeting the right recruits). This is a bitter pill for Foley to swallow, especially considering it's the 2nd of 3 football hires (our highest profile sport) that have missed the mark. If Muschamp had been Foley's 1st hire, he would've been canned last November. Right now, he is stringing this out as far as possible in hopes that some face can be saved. 

However, if you read the latest media reports, it seems like a message has finally been sent to Foley and UGA could be the last straw. Several outlets are reporting that Muschamp could be done Saturday with a loss. 

#51 DocGator

DocGator

Redshirt Gator

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:27 PM

since I so rarely post I figured I had to like what I said, lol. Actually, it was a mistake that I clicked the "like". I thought that I could edit it and realized after the fact that it said "like".

#52 Jabberdave

Jabberdave

Snatch Magnet

• Members
  • 8,322 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:30 PM

Nothing wrong with it. I like me, too. 

#53 WobbleGator

WobbleGator

Level 13 Gator

• Members
  • 16,737 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:35 PM

Wobble- I just scrolled back through the thread and saw you asked "if you matter so much, why haven't you gotten him fired yet?"...I assume this is what you're referring to?

If so, my response is:

Basically, it doesn't work like that. One person - no matter how much they donate - doesn't get to demand a coach be fired (or hired, for that matter). I also stated in a previous post that I'm not Gale Lemerand or Stumpy Harris. I'm a Bull Gator, but there are different levels of Bull Gators (although not officially delineated). I consider the top level Bull Gators to be "legacy donors" - they have their names on buildings and are prime candidates for leadership positions within Gator Boosters, Inc. However, even one of these men, by themselves, isn't going to dictate an action. 

The problem we're facing right now is that we have an A.D. who is clinging to his stubborn pride. He felt he had identified another rising star in Muschamp and had outsmarted the establishment by nabbing him away from his "coach in waiting" post at TX. However, his inexperience as a head coach has blown up in our face and it's been painfully clear he simply has no clue how to manage the offensive side of the football (be it play calling, selecting coaches, or targeting the right recruits). This is a bitter pill for Foley to swallow, especially considering it's the 2nd of 3 football hires (our highest profile sport) that have missed the mark. If Muschamp had been Foley's 1st hire, he would've been canned last November. Right now, he is stringing this out as far as possible in hopes that some face can be saved. 

However, if you read the latest media reports, it seems like a message has finally been sent to Foley and UGA could be the last straw. Several outlets are reporting that Muschamp could be done Saturday with a loss. 

So basically your "holier than thou" posts from earlier were a crock? Got it.

#54 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:36 PM

I have been a Gator Booster since 1989, that was the year the I purchased my season tix. My wife and I also travel to at least 2 away games every year. I rarely post on these message boards because of whinny toads like the originator of this thread. I am not a Bull Gator, but do make a significant donation to the UAA every year to renew my tx. I am friends with many who are Bull Gators. As a whole we recognize sports for what they are; entertainment, pure and simple.

Where does this fool get the nads big enough to believe that something was "stolen" from him? Nothing was/has been stolen from anyone. lawrence has chosen of his own free will not to attend games. So in effect, he has stolen from himself.

I am sure this "lawrence" is clueless about Gator football history prior to the arrival of Spurrier. The 70's and 80's were a disaster. But that didn't stop fans from attending games.

The 90's brought us for a wild ride with Spurrier, and we continued into the 2,000's with Meyer. We experienced a bump with Zook, but recovered with the arrival of Meyer. 

My point; if someone does not like the product then don't go. But stop your crying about "how it was stolen" from you.

Doctor, I respect your opinion and appreciate your contribution to the program. 

Maybe "stolen" is the wrong word, but I vehemently disagree with Mr. Foley's decision to prolong this charade. Florida Football is, as you say, a prime source of entertainment for me - something I pay a lot of money to enjoy at the level I currently do - and I feel like the joy has been stripped from it just because one man doesn't want to own the fact that he made a terrible mistake (for the second time). 

And, look, I have respect for the overall job Jeremy Foley has done....I just wish he would be a man about this and own his error so that our football program could begin healing and move forward in a positive manner. 

As you suggested, I actually stopped attending games during the 3rd quarter at Alabama. I walked out of the stadium and vowed not to attend another game as long as Muschamp was the coach. I don't like doing that and the last few years have been grueling for all of us as Gator fans....I just want this nightmare to be over. I'm ready to end the Muschamp Era and turn our attention to a thorough, well-organized coaching search so that we can get the right man in here to lead our program. 

#55 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:38 PM

So basically your "holier than thou" posts from earlier were a crock? Got it.

Um, no. Perhaps your reading comprehension skills could use some work?

#56 WobbleGator

WobbleGator

Level 13 Gator

• Members
  • 16,737 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:41 PM

Um, no. Perhaps your reading comprehension skills could use some work?

giphy.gif

#57 DocGator

DocGator

Redshirt Gator

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:46 PM

Lawrence, thank you for well thought out response to my post. Now I can say that I understand how you feel. I hear you, and so do all the other Gator fans and Boosters. 

I believe we can all rest assured that AD Foley will make a change, when in his opinion the time is right. I believe we will have a new HBC in plenty of time to salvage recruiting and to begin rebuilding towards next season.

On a side note, I was more then impressed with the play of our own Jordan Reed during last nights come from behind Washington victory. He has developed into a great TE.

#58 lagator

lagator

Head Ball Coach

• Members
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:55 PM

Great post.  You may not want to like your own posts though.  Somewhat bad form LOL.

Edit: Darn it, scooped by Wobs again.  That's what I get for posting before finishing the thread.

#59 Soho gator

Soho gator

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:58 PM

So is post 47 the OP saws he's not a bull gator then 3 posts later he says he is a bull gator.

Hysterical....

#60 lagator

lagator

Head Ball Coach

• Members
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:59 PM

So is post 47 the OP saws he's not a bull gator then 3 posts later he says he is a bull gator.

Hysterical....

Seems he left out the operative 4 letter word that comes after Bull but before Gator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users