• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 gatorhar

gatorhar

Head Ball Coach

• Members
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:06 AM

Take a minute and list the best programs in college football year in and year out over time.  Alabama, LSU, Auburn Georgia, FSU, Clemson, Miami, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Notre Dame and think about the fact that none of them have an active winning streak of 28 years in a row against an opponent. Now many of them don’t have a team  they play on a consistent basis, however, beating any major college football team 28 years in a row is an incredible streak.

For perspective that means 7 full classes of students have attended UF and UK without seeing a UK victory over UF.

If you are a Gator: It means you could have been born, been accepted to UF, gone to 3 years of graduate school at UF, started your career and still not have seen UK beat UF. It means you could have been born, been accepted to UF, got married, had children and those children still have not seen UK beat UF.     

If you are a Wildcat: It means you could have lost your baby teeth, got your permanent teeth and then lost all your permanent teeth and still not seen UK beat UF. It means you could have married your sister had children and those children could have married each other and all of you have still not seen UK beat UF. It means you could have been born, gone in to daddy’s moonshine business, been arrested for illegally operating a still, gotten out of jail and still not have seen UK beat UF.     

Just a little perspective, so that we appreciate 28 years and remember not all of the games were easy, Just ask Chris Leak, Danny and Chris Doering.  

• GatorRock, vulcan_alex, mtn2top and 3 others like this

1714b95da67658de1268111975.jpg

Cause the Gators never let you down. They're always here. Every fall, they're here. At 12:00 or at 12:30 or at 3:30 or at 7:00 or at 7:45, there is a game. Does anyone else in your life do that? This is a real family. This is the family that's here for you.

#2 WobbleGator

WobbleGator

Level 13 Gator

• Members
  • 16,737 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:07 AM

Great post.

#3 jand3k

jand3k

Head Ball Coach

• Members
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:50 PM

It is amazing.

Not as amazing as being born though.

I remember being born.

I was so amazed, I didn't speak for year.

:rotfl2:

#4 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,513 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:58 PM

Yes and we should never lose to UK unless some disease strikes the team before the game.

• vulcan_alex likes this
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#5 Don't Mean Nothing

Don't Mean Nothing

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:04 PM

another one drinks from the cooler

#6 gatorhart

gatorhart

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:01 AM

Take a minute and list the best programs in college football year in and year out over time.  Alabama, LSU, Auburn Georgia, FSU, Clemson, Miami, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Notre Dame and think about the fact that none of them have an active winning streak of 28 years in a row against an opponent. Now many of them don’t have a team  they play on a consistent basis, however, beating any major college football team 28 years in a row is an incredible streak.

For perspective that means 7 full classes of students have attended UF and UK without seeing a UK victory over UF.

If you are a Gator: It means you could have been born, been accepted to UF, gone to 3 years of graduate school at UF, started your career and still not have seen UK beat UF. It means you could have been born, been accepted to UF, got married, had children and those children still have not seen UK beat UF.     

If you are a Wildcat: It means you could have lost your baby teeth, got your permanent teeth and then lost all your permanent teeth and still not seen UK beat UF. It means you could have married your sister had children and those children could have married each other and all of you have still not seen UK beat UF. It means you could have been born, gone in to daddy’s moonshine business, been arrested for illegally operating a still, gotten out of jail and still not have seen UK beat UF.     

Just a little perspective, so that we appreciate 28 years and remember not all of the games were easy, Just ask Chris Leak, Danny and Chris Doering.  

Gee, I guess this is what we have become. A giant victory over a half as*8ed program that is not even an average div one team. Wish we could say the same for Vandy and ga southern.  Oh yeah, our streak was already broken by our great coaching staff last year. Get a life. UF is now a broken program that has been surpased by UGA, SC and UM. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Its obvious you have done so already with other herbs! 

#7 PigsEyeGator

PigsEyeGator

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:06 AM

Did you just call KY a "major college football team?" :scratchhead:
Every time they lose, the fan base yawns and says "and now on to basketball."

• vulcan_alex likes this

#8 Homer J

Homer J

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,359 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:04 AM

If it were easy, everyone could do it.

What's the next longest streak in the SEC?

#9 GatorRock

GatorRock

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:42 PM

Maybe, just maybe the people attacking UF and the real Gator fans here have forgotten just what Heisman Gator is talking about-

I've been on vacation and have had no yearning to come slap some sense back into you fools moaning already-- but I was already searching for this video for a few friends that need to get their head on straight-- seems a few of you also need to watch this as a reminder that Kentucky has ALWAYS been dangerous to UF...

https://www.youtube....h?v=fvmyBvfV0S8

• f18bundy likes this

#10 f18bundy

f18bundy

True Gator

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:21 PM

That 1993 team had a future Heisman Trophy winner at QB, 3-future NFL receivers, a future NFL RB, ...loaded with NFL talent on the rest of the roster and still needed a TD on the last play of the game to pull out the win against Kentucky, with Spurrier coaching.  

The lesson?  Don't draw any conclusions on the basis of one, 1, ONE, ONE F'ING Game.   My goodness people, the Gators are still undefeated.  Celebrate while its good.   I don't understand what being so pessimistic is supposed to accomplish for a fan.  That was a good win and you know why?  Because it was a win!   They don't draw pictures on the SEC standings; you either get a notch in the W column or a notch in the L column.   The final score is just window dressing.   Gators Won, Wildcats loss and it will have no bearing on how they play this week.  Every week is a one game season.  

#11 g8trs99

g8trs99

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 995 posts
  • LocationSt. Augustine, FL

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:49 PM

That 2003 team had a future Heisman Trophy winner at QB, 3-future NFL receivers, a future NFL RB, ...loaded with NFL talent on the rest of the roster and still needed a TD on the last play of the game to pull out the win against Kentucky, with Spurrier coaching.  

The lesson?  Don't draw any conclusions on the basis of one, 1, ONE, ONE F'ING Game.   My goodness people, the Gators are still undefeated.  Celebrate while its good.   I don't understand what being so pessimistic is supposed to accomplish for a fan.  That was a good win and you know why?  Because it was a win!   They don't draw pictures on the SEC standings; you either get a notch in the W column or a notch in the L column.   The final score is just window dressing.   Gators Won, Wildcats loss and it will have no bearing on how they play this week.  Every week is a one game season.  

1993? You mean I think.

And yes, last years team would have lost that game.  They would have folded.  Sometimes a game like that can be a springboard.  We shall see. 

• f18bundy likes this

#12 f18bundy

f18bundy

True Gator

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:56 PM

Doh!  Fixed it.  Thanks.

#13 -THE DUDE-

-THE DUDE-

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,015 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:49 PM

Did you just call KY a "major college football team?" :scratchhead:
Every time they lose, the fan base yawns and says "and now on to basketball."

I would consider all teams in the SEC to be "major college football teams."  What do you think Kentucky would do this year in the little 10, ACC, and big 12?  PAC they would still lose the majority of the games but they would do well in the others.  

#14 SavannahGator

SavannahGator

Head Ball Coach

• Members
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:57 PM

Gee, I guess this is what we have become. A giant victory over a half as*8ed program that is not even an average div one team. Wish we could say the same for Vandy and ga southern.  Oh yeah, our streak was already broken by our great coaching staff last year. Get a life. UF is now a broken program that has been surpased by UGA, SC and UM. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Its obvious you have done so already with other herbs! 

In the 28 years, there have been blowouts of UK (Will had one with Demps and Rainey running wild in his first season at UF) and there have been close ones.  There have been quite a few close ones.

I don't think we were complaining in '93 when "Doering has a Touchdown" Chris Doering caught that TD pass from Danny on the last play of the game to win it.

"A life is not important - except in the impact it has on other lives" . . . Jackie Robinson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users