• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gatorhar

gatorhar

Head Ball Coach

• Members
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:20 AM

All I am hearing is that Kentucky threw the ball all over us. Re watched the game last night. In the 2nd and 3rd OTs Kentucky ran 9 plays and gained 7 yards and scored 3 points. Why is no one mentioning this? Why is no one celebrating this? In the 2nd OT they ran 3 plays and got no yards, however, Darious reached out and got a face mask on 3rd down giving UK a first down on our 15. They ran 3 more more plays and got 6 yards and settled for a field goal. In the 3rd OT UK ran 3 plays and got 1 yard. And even in the 1st OT we had the screen pass bottled up and their kid just reversed field and made an incredible play. Great D in OT.   

• jand3k, vulcan_alex, mtn2top and 4 others like this

1714b95da67658de1268111975.jpg

Cause the Gators never let you down. They're always here. Every fall, they're here. At 12:00 or at 12:30 or at 3:30 or at 7:00 or at 7:45, there is a game. Does anyone else in your life do that? This is a real family. This is the family that's here for you.

#2 -THE DUDE-

-THE DUDE-

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,015 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:28 AM

because all anyone wants to do is focus on Driskel's poor 1st half performance.  They won't recognize his good 2nd half and the defense's play in OT when we needed it.  They should have stopped the 1st OT too but a couple missed tackles ruined what could have been a great play. 

#3 ReelGatorDoc

ReelGatorDoc

Head Ball Coach

• Members
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:45 AM

Our D played great against the run and had a solid pass rush.  The 2ndary looked late and

confused as to coverage, ie: 3rd and 16 from the 6" line and they get 19!

IMO what was different is that our DLine was still charging and the KY OLine was toast.  I saw their

#70 R tackle blow chunks, then go into his 3 pt. stance.  He got steamrolled.

Good energy from Fowler and Ball.  Need to continue that.  BAMA will be ready for them, so Taylor and

Morrison need to crash the boards.

and yes, Driskel looked slow, hesitant quite a bit during that game

It's Great to be a Florida GATOR!

#4 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,397 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:56 AM

Great points gatorhar.  To come away with the victory and key areas needing improvement is truly a blessing.  That's a very significant difference from last season.  

I would credit the pass rush of Fowler and the play of the defensive line as the most significant factor if our OT effectiveness.   Gator talent, conditioning and depth finally overcame the will of the upstart Cats..      

• vulcan_alex likes this

#5 SwampedGator

SwampedGator

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:07 PM

I think our secondary would have looked much better if this was our third game. I think missing that first game really hurt this team. I expect the defense to look very solid against Bama this weekend. I think we will pressure Simms into some mistakes. The secondary is loaded with talent, most of the big plays were dumb blown coverages. Those are things you can fix. They never got burned, they shot themselves in the foot. That is thankfully correctable. 

• ccsdk likes this

#6 gatorhart

gatorhart

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:30 PM

I think our secondary would have looked much better if this was our third game. I think missing that first game really hurt this team. I expect the defense to look very solid against Bama this weekend. I think we will pressure Simms into some mistakes. The secondary is loaded with talent, most of the big plays were dumb blown coverages. Those are things you can fix. They never got burned, they shot themselves in the foot. That is thankfully correctable. 

Gee, sounds just like the Zooker! This was KY!!!!!! And we were HOME! The fact that chump did not call time out prior to the big play from Ky when our db's were not in the right position is huge. It is who we are. And it's not pretty.

#7 ACappsUF29

ACappsUF29

True Gator

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:33 PM

All I am hearing is that Kentucky threw the ball all over us. Re watched the game last night. In the 2nd and 3rd OTs Kentucky ran 9 plays and gained 7 yards and scored 3 points. Why is no one mentioning this? Why is no one celebrating this? In the 2nd OT they ran 3 plays and got no yards, however, Darious reached out and got a face mask on 3rd down giving UK a first down on our 15. They ran 3 more more plays and got 6 yards and settled for a field goal. In the 3rd OT UK ran 3 plays and got 1 yard. And even in the 1st OT we had the screen pass bottled up and their kid just reversed field and made an incredible play. Great D in OT.   

You're not allowed to look at the positives from the game like that here.  LOL  Some people are still stuck in the days where Kentucky was the door mat of the SEC.  They've always had a good team every 3-4 years.  In 2007 they were very good.  And anyone that pays attention to recruiting would see why they were so much better this year.  They have recruited with the elites of the SEC and out recruited most teams in the other Big 4 conferences.  Mark Stoops is doing a great job and I truly believe Kentucky will upset a big team this year.  Would that make anyone feel better? 

#8 rampart777

rampart777

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:17 PM

Gee, sounds just like the Zooker! This was KY!!!!!! And we were HOME! The fact that chump did not call time out prior to the big play from Ky when our db's were not in the right position is huge. It is who we are. And it's not pretty.

Just stop
  • genemenet likes this

#9 GatorRaz

GatorRaz

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:52 AM

Look if we want to beat Bama we have got to force them to throw.  Stop the run or slow it down.  3rd and 6+ is a great thing and our D can get them in those situations. However we can't play D for 3 quarters.  We have to sustain drives and score points.  Let trust Roper can make the adjustments during the game.

#10 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,397 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:42 AM

Look if we want to beat Bama we have got to force them to throw.  Stop the run or slow it down.  3rd and 6+ is a great thing and our D can get them in those situations. However we can't play D for 3 quarters.  We have to sustain drives and score points.  Let trust Roper can make the adjustments during the game.

I'm with you GatorRaz and feel that we can slow their running game down.  Make no mistake, with one of the best offensive lines in the SEC, they will run right at us and see if we can handle them in the middle.  

Our secondary (other than VH3) has been a little suspect and perceived as our weak link.  It's sure to be a point of focus for their offense with a player as potent as Cooper.  They'll need to find some balance which is critical for their running game.

It's true for us as well.  That's the difference a year can make with Roper's offense.  With even moderate success, Alabama may have to throw the ball more to keep up on downs and the scoreboard.  If we can tip their offensive balance just a bit towards making Sims pass and defend it well, we can win this game.  

With defense, there's some level of parity between the teams. The offensive game plan may not be that much different for either team.  In past match ups, their tight end is usually the SEC Offensive Player of the Week after playing Florida.  I would not be surprised to see that as a new offensive "wrinkle" from either team on Saturday.

The key to this game is having the more effective and balanced offense.  That's why we have a decent chance in this game, more so than what the odds makers and pundits recognize.  Driskel has been the object of criticism for our offense but I believe he gives us an edge over the inexperienced Sims in this game.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users